· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Disappearing fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so I'm rather weirded out right now because I've had 2 fish just disappear from 2 different tanks. One was a cherry barb (female) from my lidded 15 gallon tank (which is too high up for my cat to reach either way) and the other was a small guppy (male) from my partially lidded 40 gallon tank (which my cat CAN reach but shows no interest in). Both times it was "there at breakfast, gone by dinner" and I haven't seen them since. I've looked all around my tanks for signs that a fish jumped out and haven't seen any (not that it would be easy to jump out either way, since I fill both to less than full). I don't have any fish eating fish (my most "aggressive" fish are my cherry barbs (since relocated into the 40 gallon), my betta, and my rainbow shark... none of which are fish eaters to my knowledge). The only thing I have that would pose a threat to them is my cat, but I've discounted her as a suspect for 3 reasons; 1) she hates to get wet so she won't even touch the tanks (it helps that I dumped her in the empty tanks and then squirted her to teach her not to mess with them), 2) the 15 gallon is a column tank on a stand, so the top is about level with my chin and too high for her to jump into, and 3) I would notice if her paws or face were wet from "fishing" in my tanks and they haven't been. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Where did my fish go? What the heck is going on?

Notes: I haven't found any bodies in the weekly cleanings after a disappearance, nor when I moved things around after noticing a missing fish in an effort to scare them out of hiding or reveal a body. This is just driving me completely bonkers!
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I regret to inform you that all fish are fish eating fish, if the fish that disappeared was a corpse.

Cherry barbs and guppies are not large fish and would be consumed fairly quickly... so its possible you missed the corpse for a day or two and it was eaten by wc day.

Its also possible that your fish are sneaky lil buggers that are hiding out and will turn up when you are fully convinced they are well and truly gone. You will be checking in and suddenly realize "hey I thought you were dead!"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oooo..... did not know that... and there's nowhere for the cherrybarb to hide in the 15 gallon she was last seen in, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the guppy. Thanks. (It wasn't even a solid day between sightings!)

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree totally with Trillianne. This has happened to me, fish missing, and sometimes they turn up days later. My tanks are fairly heavily planted, with lots of bogwood, and I will never go poking around looking for a "missing" fish since this stresses out all the others. If they turn up, fine; if not...fish do die now and then from all sorts of things. I only really worry when I see obvious disease or if fish start dying more regularly than one in a couple months or something.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    would other fish eat the bones too? because I never even find bones.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    would other fish eat the bones too? because I never even find bones.
    Yes, a dead fish can entirely disappear very quickly. A few times I have found a carcass with perhaps partially eaten flesh, like during a water change, but I have never seen the skeleton on its own.