· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello from Byron

7 Not allowed!
    I would like to introduce myself—my join date reads 2008, but I actually only became active here a few weeks back, so I am technically a new member. Back in 2008 when I was forum-hunting, Heiko Bleher recommended TFK to me, and that became my abode. Mis-management by the administrator assigned under the new owner, VirtualScope, led to my resignation from TFK in early July. I tested the waters on a few forums—not wanting to jump from the frying pan into the fire—before deciding on Aquatic Community, so here I am.

Like many, I had a fish tank or two back in my school days [early 1960’s], but it was not until the mid-1980’s that I took up the hobby in a serious way, and aside from a break of six years when I re-settled several times, I have been an active freshwater hobbyist ever since. In my early high school days, science (biology) was my intended career, but my life took a different path. My university days in the early 1970’s instilled in me a profound love for research, and since taking early retirement in 2007 I have made this my major focus in the hobby. I authored several articles and more than 250 freshwater fish and plant profiles for TFK.

The more I learn, the more there is to learn, and we must never stop learning. Many of my posts attest to my keen interest in the scientific side of things resulting from my realization that this is a scientific hobby because it deals with living creatures confined within an artificial environment that nonetheless is governed by natural laws. Someone’s advice that “the aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian” is very perceptive.

My primary interests are the small soft water fish species, particularly those in tropical South America, and natural (low-tech) planted tanks to house them. I have a dedicated fish room, currently with six tanks ranging from a 10g that is home to about 14 Farlowella vittata fry that are slowly growing, a 20g planted functioning as my “new fish” QT, a 33g Forest Stream Lagoon, a 70g Flooded Amazon Forest, a 90g River Habitat, and a 115g Amazonian Riverscape; most of the fish are wild-caught. A couple of empty tanks are in the planning stage. Like gardens, aquaria are really never “finished” and mine have certainly evolved over the past several years due to changing out the substrate to play sand or refocusing on different plants and fish. I have attached photos of some of these as they appear today.

I hope I will be of some value to this community; knowledge is the key to success, and for me, sharing that knowledge to help others is very rewarding. I would like to extend my sincere appreciation for the warm welcome many of you have already shown me through your “gifts of thanks” for several of my posts. At some point I will figure out how these work and start reciprocating.

Byron.
    33g Apr 18-13.jpg70g Aug 23-13.jpg90g Aug 23-13.jpg115g Aug 23-13.jpg
    Last edited by Byron; 08-25-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

1 Not allowed!
    We are very glad to have you here
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

1 Not allowed!
    Byron,

Welcome aboard. I know who to count on for all the articles.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Beautiful tanks . would you tell me what is the name of the floating plants in tank #4 ? I really like those.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

1 Not allowed!
    It looks like water sprite
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Northernguy A recruit for your piggy army - MuckyFish Piggy Sentry for your Piggy Army hopefully they help you not lose brakes. - MuckyFish beer for the birthday boy - Lady Hobbs For itís medicinal properties, cheers and get well soon - Cliff 
    thank you - Indian Woods Angels Hammy Holidays to you! - Trillianne Have a great christmas gadget - Cliff Have a Christmas coral - Aeonflame Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    For the birthday thread. Thanks. - Strider199 Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year! - Rue Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne 
    Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

1 Not allowed!
    You've already had a hugely positive impact on this forum and I continue to read your posts with interest. Wecome.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Hello and welcome.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by eltylT View Post
    Beautiful tanks . would you tell me what is the name of the floating plants in tank #4 ? I really like those.
    William is correct, that is Ceratopteris cornuta (Water Sprite) in the fourth and also the first tanks. The second tank (70g) has Frogbit and Water Lettuce in its "dwarf" form so far [Pistia stratiotes will remain "dwarf" depending upon environmental conditions]. The floaters in the 90g are Red Tiger Lotus, Aponogeton, and a couple Water Sprite.

Water Sprite is my favourite floating plant. I bought one back in 1997, and I have had floating plants descended from that one ever since. I normally toss out several every week at the water change, since it grows so well. It grows fast, as do most floaters, and daughter plants are readily formed on alternating leaves. I tend to pull some of these off regularly, and then toss the largest plants when it gets wider than I want and allow the smaller to grow. It is a never-ending cycle. But this is an ideal plant because not only of this, but the dangling root mass is host to a multitude of microscopic food for fry and small fish, and ideal for gourami bubblenests.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-25-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your tanks are beautiful :) You have already been a huge help to me so far on this forum so good to know a bit about you :)