· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: goldfish

1. Default goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    i was wondering i know goldfish get up to 12inches or so so i was wondering what Size tank is recommended? Per 1 Goldfish and then how many Gallons per each Additional goldfish.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

0 Not allowed!
    For a trio of common goldfish I'd want at least a five foot tank. They should be in ponds though really.

Fancy goldfish don't tend to get so big so I would keep three or four in a four foot tank...provided it was grossly over-filtered and the maintenance schedule was up to scratch.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    To what I've read and based on my experience it depends on what Goldfish you want. The "Commons" or single tailed variety would usually need a 40 Gallon Minimum Each but IMO "Commons" or "Feeders" as some call them are better off in big ponds, as it is more a suitable home for them which they can thrive in.

The "Fancy Tail" Variety however has different Requirements, as they grow to as much as only half of the "Single Tailed" Goldies. Fancies do also differ in sizes though depending on what type of Fancy Goldfish they are. E.g. a Ryukin can grow as much as 8"-10". I would put Fancies in a Minimum of 20-30G tank and any additional i would give another 15G. Remember, The bigger the Tank the better for the Fish! :) and don't forget to put a reliable filter, as Goldfish tend to produce lots of waste.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well i was hoping to make a nice big plywood tank was thinking 200-300 gallon one for them and yeah they are feeder ones.i was just trying to figure if i should go buy a 150 gallon "pond thingie" for them as tempt till i can make the plywood one or not or if the 150 gallon would work perm for them. i have 6 common ones they are all under 2inches currently in a 45 gallon tank as there tempt home.well i won the feeders at the fair only cause i wanted some anyways with plans of a big plywood tank for them unless like i said would 150 gallons work for 6 of them?also for filter was thinking of getting 1 or 2 eheim depending on what kind of deal i can find if i can find a higher one for cheaper then 2 smaller ones then i`ll do that otherwise i`ll probly use 2 eheim 2217.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2

0 Not allowed!
    6 goldies in a 150 gallon tank is possible, however you can't add anything else to it.
    with just six goldfish idk i would say you are 95% full.
    now is it 5 gold fish or six because in your signature it says you won 5.
    5 would do great in a 150
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    Should be an impressive set-up at least! Will you do a journal for this build? It sounds excellent.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    lol i always forget to journal XD but i`ll try to remember when i get to it. yeah i actually won 7 but 2 of them passed away within day of each other not sure the cause the tank was cycled and has filter + air pump so i ended up looking at petstore and then there was this cute one.. xD poor little feeder one i never seen marking like it before it has like a orange head with a random black dot right in middle of its forehead rest of him is white kind of reminds me of a tancho koi marking. hmm i know one of my neighbors has a goldfish pond i can see if i could re home one of them there and do the 150 gallon with 5. i really didn`t plan to put any other fish in there besides them thought so wondering if i would be ok with 6. since the 150 gallon one will be ok i`ll probably wait on the 200-300 gallon one till i can buy my own house xD i live in apartment currently and im glad the landlord likes my hobbies xD
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 08-26-2013 at 04:31 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    If its a Common or Comet goldfish with black on it, the black will indeed go away. The black is from stress. Often in pet stores you will see the feeder tank full of silver or silver and black or orange and black fish....... Common and Comet have combinations of fair orange, bright orange and white. Any gray, silver or black is from over crowded or bad conditions. For instance, "Clyde" a rescue out of a feeder tank went into my huge pond silver and black, I knew he would change, and he did....... flaming red and white! You may be surprised like I was, that any feeder fish may in fact be Sarsa Comets, a lovely flaming red surprise.

If fish are dying in your cycled tank, its a good indicator its overcrowded. Conditions don't need to be a factor. You can have proper aeration (loads), filtration (again loads), and feeding schedule with perfect cycle going on, and you will have "mysterious" fish deaths. The cause to me is as yet unknown, but I can speculate that overcrowding is the issue. I've seen this happen in ponds as well as tanks.

There's an old saying in pond-keeping, and I find it applies to tanks as well with goldfish, "Cull your fish, or nature will do it for you, and she'll take your best one". I've found this to ultimately be true. If you find your fish aren't growing at around 1/2 inch a month, you are out of room, and one will likely fall victim.

I currently have a 750 gallon pond for nine fish, 3 Common, 3 Comets, and 3 shubbies. They are happy and stable, and though told I could have more in there, any attempts to add even one more, someone dies. Go figure. I think they know their own space limits.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well reason i think they died is that really didn`t look that great when i won them. only downfall with winning them u don`t get to pick. but i tried my luck anyways. and awww that makes me kind of sad that his black will disappear its so cute like that xD and yeah they are growing just fine.. xD that started at 1inch n are around 2inch already. i got some bills this month so im hoping next month to buy the 150gallon for them and see what happens.i hate loosing fish even if they only cost like 15cents each is a life so im hoping no more deaths.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh heres a video of them with my camcorder XD

(also might need to wait a few mins before clicking i hit upload n it says around12mins more so 12mins from this post)