· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help... big white spots on top fin of my cat fish

0 Not allowed!
    My son's favorite and oldest fish ( synodontis catfish) has two big white spots on his top fin. These spots seemed to have developed over night. We recently added a mystery snail and a cory to the tank (33 gallon). The cory died after a week. Not sure what he died from. The Synodontis ( Tom), is acting normal. He normally hides under his favorite piece of bark next to the heater until night time. Please help! my son's 2nd favorite fish ( Jerry) died about a month ago and he was devastated.

Thanks,

John

attached is a picture of Tom. Its the best one i could take.Tom.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    I can't tell from the photo what this is. To aid others who might, can you provide some data on the tank and water? Disease (if this is disease) is never an isolated thing and the tank size, fish in it, water parameters and tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are connected.

As for the cory, the above info may clue us in on that too. Plus, corys are shoaling fish that must have a group, five or more; and they are very sensitive fish.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have information on the water with me, I will run some fresh tests as soon as i get home. As far as his tank mates, we have the Synodontis, 2 black skirt tetras, a Pleco, 3 loaches, 2 Bumble bee catfish, a mystery snail, and some guppies. The tank size is 33 gallons. We have 2 hanging off the back filters ( I don't remember the sizes) Also is an undergravel filter fed by a powerhead. I will post the test data when I get home.

Could it be burns from the heater? the way the fish sits under his branch, the white spots are resting on the heater glass.

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdewitt View Post
    I don't have information on the water with me, I will run some fresh tests as soon as i get home. As far as his tank mates, we have the Synodontis, 2 black skirt tetras, a Pleco, 3 loaches, 2 Bumble bee catfish, a mystery snail, and some guppies. The tank size is 33 gallons. We have 2 hanging off the back filters ( I don't remember the sizes) Also is an undergravel filter fed by a powerhead. I will post the test data when I get home.

Could it be burns from the heater? the way the fish sits under his branch, the white spots are resting on the heater glass.

Thanks
    I have never observed heater burns, but wouldn't assume they are white, but more "charred." One thing does stand out though, now we know the fish. Have you ever observed either of the Black Skirt tetra bothering this (or the other) fish? This species is known to nip at fins, and this trait can be brought on by being kept in too few numbers. There should be at least six of this species, or more. The white might be fungus on an inflamed nip site.

Byron.