· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    I haven't tested this tank in a long time, as it's been stable for years now. No mystery deaths. I am quite certain tho, that my nitrates are more than 10 - my last recorded levels were 20ppm, and I have no reason to suspect that would have changed, as I don't do anything to modify the water and haven't for years. The thermometers show 76 and 77 degrees. The tank is not planted, but has wood for the plecos. And yes, I do have a group of them - I've seen for myself how differently schooling fish act when they are kept singly compared to being kept as a group.
    I'll have to check the dates on my old test kit...likely I will have to buy a new one...
    I would check those nitrates just to be certain. 20ppm is the safe max for most all the fish we keep [I know, people will say up to 40ppm, some even higher, but this is just not safe] and below 10ppm is best. Some floating plants will help with this, they are easy, unless you have nitrate in the tap water. That requires a different solution.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I do have nitrates in the tap water, and I also have some water lettuce - I just transferred some to this tank. Last time I tried water lettuce in it they did not do well under the compact fluorescents (boy were those a mistake), but I have a different light fixture now, just didn't think to give them another try until you mentioned them.

0 Not allowed!
    I do have nitrates in the tap water, and I also have some water lettuce - I just transferred some to this tank. Last time I tried water lettuce in it they did not do well under the compact fluorescents (boy were those a mistake), but I have a different light fixture now, just didn't think to give them another try until you mentioned them.
    By compact fluorescents, do you mean the screw-in spiral bulbs? Those will work if they are the "daylight" with 6500K. I use two 10w of these over each of my 10g and 20g tanks. Liquid fertilizer is almost a necessity though, as floating plants are fast growing and thus need nutrients. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is what I am using, but Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti is the same.

What is the nitrate reading for the tap water?

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Nah, the old CP fixture was a coralife with those longer tube bulbs. They were expensive and only seemed to last 6 months.
    I've been using Flourish Excel on the 10g which has the water lettuce.

0 Not allowed!
    Nah, the old CP fixture was a coralife with those longer tube bulbs. They were expensive and only seemed to last 6 months.
    I've been using Flourish Excel on the 10g which has the water lettuce.
    That's a problem. Excel is a liquid carbon, but floating plants have no need for this because they can assimilate CO2 from the air. That is one reason why floating plants grow faster than submerged. The uptake of CO2 from the air is four times faster than from the water. But this is only one nutrient of 17.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and the FlorinMulti contain all necessary nutrients (except carbon, hydrogen and oxygen). Adding one of these once or twice a week, depending upon the plants' response, will solve things.

I just acquired some Water Lettuce about 2 or 3 months ago, and it is spreading like mad in 3 tanks. It is what some call the "dwarf" water lettuce, but there is no such plant; there is only one species, Pistia stratiotes, and the environmental conditions determine how large it grows. I have moderate light and dose Flourish Comp once a week, so it has so far remained "dwarf" which is what I wanted. Years ago I had it grow full size in my outdoor pond in the summer.

Back to the Excel, I personally will not use this. It contains glutaraldehyde which is highly toxic and something I do not want in with my fish. Some plants will melt with this even at recommended strength.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, good. Always good to be able to add less to my tanks.
    I had been originally adding it for the other plants in the tank, tho, not for the water lettuce.

0 Not allowed!
    Was this the tank with Vallisneria problems? Might be another thread... Anyway, Excel will often melt Vallisneria.

I have never added any carbon and my plants are thriving. There is more CO2 being released from the substrate than many realize. Allowing detritus to work its way down into the substrate (the small snails like Malaysian Livebearing and pond, bladder, etc are great for breaking down waste to smaller bits) where bacteria can then break it down is a prime source of organic carbons and CO2 needed by plants. I rarely vacuum the substrates in my tanks, and then sometimes I just run the Python over the surface; some tanks don't even get this.

The Flourish Comprehensive will make quite a difference though.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    No, no Vallisneria here. I never posted a problem with that tank, as its doing well.
    All of my tanks are doing well, I'm just being fussy feeling that the loaches should be doing better.

0 Not allowed!
    My experience is that DIY CO2 kits works the best. They promotes growth but there is very little risk over doing it. All you need is a plastic bottle, an air hose, regulator and a diffusor stonen. Once it done you start it water, jeast and suger. Once it is started you only have to add some suger every once in a while.

It is also much cheaper than bought solutions.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.