· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

Default Does anyone have older yoyo loaches?

0 Not allowed!
    Mine are going to be 4 in November.
    They are doing well, prolly 5 inches long and all over everywhere and into everything the way loaches should be.

I just wonder if my water or something is affecting their colour. The yoyo is not visible anymore, they've reticulated to the point where you can't tell there was ever a yoyo pattern...but the white has darkened, so they look smudged.
    Just wondering if anyone else has as old or older yoyo's - I'm pretty sure this is just natural maturation but I'd like to confirm.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    And before anyone asks, here is a pic of the one that would stay still long enough to have a pic taken...this is the smallest one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Yoyo Loaches is one of the hardiest loaches ib my opinion. They are also real hoggs. Mine were 8 years when I had to sell them due to a move. I know the friend who bought them had them for atleast another 4 years. After that I do not know.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    did yours darken with age? The white wasn't so sharp anymore?

0 Not allowed!
    No they didnt. But they had a lot larger white spots as well. More like a zerba, less like the net patterns yours got.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    About 11 years as of now.
    Won't stay still for the camera so here's a pic from 2008

0 Not allowed!
    Botia almorhae1.jpgBotia almorhae2.jpgBotia almorhae3.jpgBotia almorhae4.jpgThis species (Botia almorhae), along with a couple other in Botia, is extremely variable in patterning. I'm attaching 3 photos that illustrate how variable they can be. Also, as this species ages, it is normal for the pattern to fill in and become more reticulated as the fish matures.

I don't see any wash-out in the photo, so this is probably not due to stress. The fish will periodically "grey- out" as we call it when interacting, usually two males. But this is not permanent. The 4th photo shows the "grey-out."

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    thanks all

I think mine most resemble the greyed out photo, but they are all basically the same colour...I can't imagine them ALL being stressed, at the very least the dominant fish would be brighter. So I guess they are all good, tho I'm not 100% convinced...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    thanks all

I think mine most resemble the greyed out photo, but they are all basically the same colour...I can't imagine them ALL being stressed, at the very least the dominant fish would be brighter. So I guess they are all good, tho I'm not 100% convinced...
    You are the best judge, as you are there to see the fish, and I know how difficult it can often be trying to explain what we see to others. But if you think there may be something not quite right, perhaps look at the water. This species is best in the lower end of its temperature range (range is 22-28C/71-82F). And it is intolerant of dissolved organics, so nitrates (something of a test) should be kept below 10ppm. I assume you have a group, as they are highly social and lack of conspecifics can cause trouble.

Edit: Just took a peek at Loaches Online which is a highly reputable loach site, and spotted that I got mixed up in my photos. The 4th is a normal loach of this species, not "grey-out." Not sure what I was thinking, sorry for the confusion. I have B. kubotai, and when they grey-out they pale to scarcely any pattern at all on a very light fish. So you're probably fine.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-24-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't tested this tank in a long time, as it's been stable for years now. No mystery deaths. I am quite certain tho, that my nitrates are more than 10 - my last recorded levels were 20ppm, and I have no reason to suspect that would have changed, as I don't do anything to modify the water and haven't for years. The thermometers show 76 and 77 degrees. The tank is not planted, but has wood for the plecos. And yes, I do have a group of them - I've seen for myself how differently schooling fish act when they are kept singly compared to being kept as a group.
    I'll have to check the dates on my old test kit...likely I will have to buy a new one...