Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal



Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    200

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    You need a fish! - Slaphppy7   Great job on the tank. - Slaphppy7   

    Default Maximum fish, and more?!


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi ever one,
    I am totally new here, and this is my first aquarium and i think it will not be the last (please check the pictures).

    My tank Specs:

    - The size of it is approx (150 L x 55 H x 45 W) and its almost 95 Gallon.
    - It has 2 internal filters (with its media), Ehime classic 600 and also i just bought the Eheim professional 3, for maximum filtration.
    - I am one the way to add some wood and real plants.

    I have 3 questions please, and maybe more in few days:

    1- What is the maximum "I mean the maximum ever" fishes i can add in this setup? (Neon Tettra, and other small one) I am not going to add any big fish, except 3-4 small size cleaner fishes.

    2- I know that there is lots of bacteria inside the 4 filters, so if i clean up the 2 internal (full clean + hot water, I mean to clear it 100%), do the Ehime's do the jobs with its bacteria, and my water be safe for my fishes?

    3- Also which one i have to believe, the aquarium heater or the aquarium thermometers? All my 3 thermometers show the same temp, which is higher 3-4 degree that the heater temp.

    --------

    Pictures of my new aqurem, i need more days to fish it all, it has been almost 7 days since i added the water.

    nckv.jpg

    a5ag.jpg

    Thank you very much..

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,155

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!

    When you say you know there is lots of bacteria in the 4 filters, does this mean you have cycled the tank? New filters do not bacteria in them already, you must grow it, and if your tank has only been running for seven days, the chances are quite low there is bacteria, unless you took old used media from other tanks with fish in them.

    So your first order of business will be to get your tank cycled - there is a great sticky on cycling your tank under the cycling forum.

    Tank looks great! A background would go a long way to reducing the the look of the equipment - the wires would all be behind the background so you would only see the stuff actually inside the tank.

    I would believe the three thermometers, if they all show the same reading.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,270

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Agree 100% with Sheamurai. You need to first cycle your tank before you think about adding fish.

    I wonder also if you are confused about 'bacteria' in the filters.

    As a fishkeeper your goal is to grow beneficial bacteria in your filters and filter media. to do that, you set up your tank, add your clean filters, then if you're doing a fishless cycle, you dose the tank with ammonia and wait for it to convert to nitrites then nitrates until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
    That's what we mean when we talk 'cycle' and when we talk bacteria, we mean beneficial bacteria that grows on and lives in the media in your filter and keeps your tank cycled.
    again - please read the cycling stickies in my signature line for a full explanation and instructions on how to cycle your tank.

    In other words, no, it's not safe to add fish to your tank until it's cycled unless you plan to make multiple large water changes several days per week - that would be cycling with fish - and will be a lot more work and take substantially longer. The fishless cycle should take 3 - 4 weeks. You can study up on fish and ask questions here about stock while your tank is cycling. Everyone here wants to help.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    907

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    【ツ】 - korith   So glad someone else takes KH seriously! - talldutchie   most promising newbie award! - talldutchie   Good advice. Stick around! - ~firefly~   A gift for your knowledge of Tetras. - steeler1   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Looks very exciting. It is fun setting up new tanks.

    Are you considering any live plants? With the type of fish you intend, small tetra, etc, live plants would be very welcomed by them. And if you do, then you can forget cycling and plant the tank and then introduce a few fish. The plants are fast at grabbing ammonia/ammonium. You will not see any "cycle" as such, and more importantly, the fish will not be affected. Even just floating plants can work. I can explain more if this interests you.

    Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

    Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,226

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubema View Post

    1- What is the maximum "I mean the maximum ever" fishes i can add in this setup? (Neon Tettra, and other small one) I am not going to add any big fish, except 3-4 small size cleaner fishes.

    2- I know that there is lots of bacteria inside the 4 filters, so if i clean up the 2 internal (full clean + hot water, I mean to clear it 100%), do the Ehime's do the jobs with its bacteria, and my water be safe for my fishes?

    3- Also which one i have to believe, the aquarium heater or the aquarium thermometers? All my 3 thermometers show the same temp, which is higher 3-4 degree that the heater temp.
    1. Depends on what you want. Stability long term or just a tank crammed as full as possible. If the latter then maybe as much as a 150. Personally I'd keep it far less crowded.
    2. They should. Wonder why you'd do that but they should
    3. An in-tank thermometer is usually reliable.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    200

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    You need a fish! - Slaphppy7   Great job on the tank. - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

    When you say you know there is lots of bacteria in the 4 filters, does this mean you have cycled the tank? New filters do not bacteria in them already, you must grow it, and if your tank has only been running for seven days, the chances are quite low there is bacteria, unless you took old used media from other tanks with fish in them.

    So your first order of business will be to get your tank cycled - there is a great sticky on cycling your tank under the cycling forum.

    Tank looks great! A background would go a long way to reducing the the look of the equipment - the wires would all be behind the background so you would only see the stuff actually inside the tank.

    I would believe the three thermometers, if they all show the same reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Agree 100% with Sheamurai. You need to first cycle your tank before you think about adding fish.

    I wonder also if you are confused about 'bacteria' in the filters.

    As a fishkeeper your goal is to grow beneficial bacteria in your filters and filter media. to do that, you set up your tank, add your clean filters, then if you're doing a fishless cycle, you dose the tank with ammonia and wait for it to convert to nitrites then nitrates until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
    That's what we mean when we talk 'cycle' and when we talk bacteria, we mean beneficial bacteria that grows on and lives in the media in your filter and keeps your tank cycled.
    again - please read the cycling stickies in my signature line for a full explanation and instructions on how to cycle your tank.

    In other words, no, it's not safe to add fish to your tank until it's cycled unless you plan to make multiple large water changes several days per week - that would be cycling with fish - and will be a lot more work and take substantially longer. The fishless cycle should take 3 - 4 weeks. You can study up on fish and ask questions here about stock while your tank is cycling. Everyone here wants to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Looks very exciting. It is fun setting up new tanks.

    Are you considering any live plants? With the type of fish you intend, small tetra, etc, live plants would be very welcomed by them. And if you do, then you can forget cycling and plant the tank and then introduce a few fish. The plants are fast at grabbing ammonia/ammonium. You will not see any "cycle" as such, and more importantly, the fish will not be affected. Even just floating plants can work. I can explain more if this interests you.

    Byron.
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    1. Depends on what you want. Stability long term or just a tank crammed as full as possible. If the latter then maybe as much as a 150. Personally I'd keep it far less crowded.
    2. They should. Wonder why you'd do that but they should
    3. An in-tank thermometer is usually reliable.

    WOW...
    I really was very very happy for your great answer which i really appreciate and i am sure i will follow each of it. I will post some more qustions sure soon...
    Thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •