· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Maximum fish, and more?!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi ever one,
    I am totally new here, and this is my first aquarium and i think it will not be the last (please check the pictures).

My tank Specs:

- The size of it is approx (150 L x 55 H x 45 W) and its almost 95 Gallon.
    - It has 2 internal filters (with its media), Ehime classic 600 and also i just bought the Eheim professional 3, for maximum filtration.
    - I am one the way to add some wood and real plants.

I have 3 questions please, and maybe more in few days:

1- What is the maximum "I mean the maximum ever" fishes i can add in this setup? (Neon Tettra, and other small one) I am not going to add any big fish, except 3-4 small size cleaner fishes.

2- I know that there is lots of bacteria inside the 4 filters, so if i clean up the 2 internal (full clean + hot water, I mean to clear it 100%), do the Ehime's do the jobs with its bacteria, and my water be safe for my fishes?

3- Also which one i have to believe, the aquarium heater or the aquarium thermometers? All my 3 thermometers show the same temp, which is higher 3-4 degree that the heater temp.

--------

Pictures of my new aqurem, i need more days to fish it all, it has been almost 7 days since i added the water.

nckv.jpg

a5ag.jpg

Thank you very much..

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!

When you say you know there is lots of bacteria in the 4 filters, does this mean you have cycled the tank? New filters do not bacteria in them already, you must grow it, and if your tank has only been running for seven days, the chances are quite low there is bacteria, unless you took old used media from other tanks with fish in them.

So your first order of business will be to get your tank cycled - there is a great sticky on cycling your tank under the cycling forum.

Tank looks great! A background would go a long way to reducing the the look of the equipment - the wires would all be behind the background so you would only see the stuff actually inside the tank.

I would believe the three thermometers, if they all show the same reading.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Agree 100% with Sheamurai. You need to first cycle your tank before you think about adding fish.

I wonder also if you are confused about 'bacteria' in the filters.

As a fishkeeper your goal is to grow beneficial bacteria in your filters and filter media. to do that, you set up your tank, add your clean filters, then if you're doing a fishless cycle, you dose the tank with ammonia and wait for it to convert to nitrites then nitrates until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
    That's what we mean when we talk 'cycle' and when we talk bacteria, we mean beneficial bacteria that grows on and lives in the media in your filter and keeps your tank cycled.
    again - please read the cycling stickies in my signature line for a full explanation and instructions on how to cycle your tank.

In other words, no, it's not safe to add fish to your tank until it's cycled unless you plan to make multiple large water changes several days per week - that would be cycling with fish - and will be a lot more work and take substantially longer. The fishless cycle should take 3 - 4 weeks. You can study up on fish and ask questions here about stock while your tank is cycling. Everyone here wants to help.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Looks very exciting. It is fun setting up new tanks.

Are you considering any live plants? With the type of fish you intend, small tetra, etc, live plants would be very welcomed by them. And if you do, then you can forget cycling and plant the tank and then introduce a few fish. The plants are fast at grabbing ammonia/ammonium. You will not see any "cycle" as such, and more importantly, the fish will not be affected. Even just floating plants can work. I can explain more if this interests you.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubema View Post

1- What is the maximum "I mean the maximum ever" fishes i can add in this setup? (Neon Tettra, and other small one) I am not going to add any big fish, except 3-4 small size cleaner fishes.

2- I know that there is lots of bacteria inside the 4 filters, so if i clean up the 2 internal (full clean + hot water, I mean to clear it 100%), do the Ehime's do the jobs with its bacteria, and my water be safe for my fishes?

3- Also which one i have to believe, the aquarium heater or the aquarium thermometers? All my 3 thermometers show the same temp, which is higher 3-4 degree that the heater temp.
    1. Depends on what you want. Stability long term or just a tank crammed as full as possible. If the latter then maybe as much as a 150. Personally I'd keep it far less crowded.
    2. They should. Wonder why you'd do that but they should
    3. An in-tank thermometer is usually reliable.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

When you say you know there is lots of bacteria in the 4 filters, does this mean you have cycled the tank? New filters do not bacteria in them already, you must grow it, and if your tank has only been running for seven days, the chances are quite low there is bacteria, unless you took old used media from other tanks with fish in them.

So your first order of business will be to get your tank cycled - there is a great sticky on cycling your tank under the cycling forum.

Tank looks great! A background would go a long way to reducing the the look of the equipment - the wires would all be behind the background so you would only see the stuff actually inside the tank.

I would believe the three thermometers, if they all show the same reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Agree 100% with Sheamurai. You need to first cycle your tank before you think about adding fish.

I wonder also if you are confused about 'bacteria' in the filters.

As a fishkeeper your goal is to grow beneficial bacteria in your filters and filter media. to do that, you set up your tank, add your clean filters, then if you're doing a fishless cycle, you dose the tank with ammonia and wait for it to convert to nitrites then nitrates until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.
    That's what we mean when we talk 'cycle' and when we talk bacteria, we mean beneficial bacteria that grows on and lives in the media in your filter and keeps your tank cycled.
    again - please read the cycling stickies in my signature line for a full explanation and instructions on how to cycle your tank.

In other words, no, it's not safe to add fish to your tank until it's cycled unless you plan to make multiple large water changes several days per week - that would be cycling with fish - and will be a lot more work and take substantially longer. The fishless cycle should take 3 - 4 weeks. You can study up on fish and ask questions here about stock while your tank is cycling. Everyone here wants to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Looks very exciting. It is fun setting up new tanks.

Are you considering any live plants? With the type of fish you intend, small tetra, etc, live plants would be very welcomed by them. And if you do, then you can forget cycling and plant the tank and then introduce a few fish. The plants are fast at grabbing ammonia/ammonium. You will not see any "cycle" as such, and more importantly, the fish will not be affected. Even just floating plants can work. I can explain more if this interests you.

Byron.
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    1. Depends on what you want. Stability long term or just a tank crammed as full as possible. If the latter then maybe as much as a 150. Personally I'd keep it far less crowded.
    2. They should. Wonder why you'd do that but they should
    3. An in-tank thermometer is usually reliable.

WOW...
    I really was very very happy for your great answer which i really appreciate and i am sure i will follow each of it. I will post some more qustions sure soon...
    Thank you