· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Brown Algae issues?

0 Not allowed!
    Could anyone give me some tips on removing Brown Algae from a tank? My 10 gallon has had an issue with it ever since I upgraded my lights.. my plants and fish seem to be doing well(although my green crypt wendtiis have turned a sort of brown instead) and I don't believe i'm overfeeding. I have two Tetra Whisper 10 gallon filters on the tank and I leave the lights on for 9 hours. My Nerite Snail and Otos love the brown algae but its too much for them to keep under control. Its growing all over the filters, gravel, clay pots, and the sides of the tank. Anything I should do to stop it? I'm currently cycling an Aquaclear 30 gallon filter that will eventually replace my two Tetra HOBs
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like diatoms to me. They are caused by silicates in your water. Silicates most commonly get in your tank through leaching out of newly added substrate or from your water supply. If your tank is new(er), increasing your water changes over the next few months/months will help as once the silicates are gone, so will the diatoms. If your substrate is not new(er), then I would guess you have silicates in your water supply, just like I do. From me, using Chemi-pure Elite in one of my filters remove the silicates from my water and helps me prevent the diatoms from coming back. At least that works for the level of silicates in my water supply.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff on how to deal with diatoms, but I would question if this "brown algae" is actually diatoms. I came across this several times elsewhere, and have had it myself.

Your information about upgrading the lights is suggestive that this is actually a form of brush algae. Although technically a red algae, brush algae appears in various colours from black to very dark green to reddish-black to dark brown. It is next to impossible to remove from plant leaves, unlike diatoms which easily will come off with your finger. And brush algae takes several forms; we are all most familiar with the furry tufts that grow on wood and rock and sometimes plant leaves, but what you have is more likely the small tough almost crust.

This algae can occur due to light intensity beyond that required by the plants, or light duration beyond the available nutrients, or due to an increase in nutrients beyond what the plants can use under the light. I have had all of these situations.

I suspect in your case the increase in light intensity has caused it. Sometimes reducing the duration can help, provided the intensity is not too far above that needed to balance all 17 nutrients. If it is, then reducing the intensity, or upping the nutrients, is necessary. If you can explain what lighting you have (please be very specific), and the tank size (length and volume), I may be able to offer more specific suggestions.

As for the crypts, most species will melt at any change in the environment. Some othedr plants do this too, but crypts are notorious. They do not like changes. They will usually rebound though, growing new leaves, so do not disturb the roots.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd have to agree with Byron here, as if it were diatoms, and you have Oto cats, they'd wipe it out in a few days. When you said the Oto's weren't tackling the problem, its a red flag its something else.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps a few pictures could help clear this up a little for us ?

Does this "brown stuff" wipe off very easy ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Yup. Its almost like a brown coating on the tank walls, gravel and filters. It doesn't seem to be on the plants, though some of my Val's leaves do have an almost fungus looking white fuzzy stuff growing on them(this is only on decaying leaves so I'm assuming its harmless fungus, its also present on my Catappa leaves which are getting replaced today.) The algae is a lightish brown. And I didn't upgrade my lights. I still have 15 watts on the tank. I just changed the Kelvins from 18k to 6,700. This has improved my plant growth but also helped the algae grow. I would get pictures but its impossible to photograph with my phone. The light intensity washes out the algae's presence. I can only give you guys descriptions.

Could I be dosing too much ferts?? I does once a week Iron and Flourish. I might be dosing a bit too much.. I do about 1/4 teaspoon of Iron and Flourish.. Is that too much? I have several root tabs in the tank as well.

Also could anyone tell me why my Green Crypts are turning brown? They're not melting they're just changing from a green color form to a brown one. The throats and undersides are a gorgeous pinkish red. Older leaves are solid, bright green. The newest leaves are coming in a mottled green and brown form. Its so weird. XD I have 5 crypts of the same species and each plant looks completely different from the next.

Lastly, does anyone have any tips for growing Val? My Tiger Val grows well but I keep getting melted leaves. It seems to be the older leaves but its odd because they'll look fine and then a few days later be all melted and then they'll detach and end up in my filters. The Val is doing good but isn't booming...
    Last edited by Gesp56; 08-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Because I'd rather not make a new thread could anyone tell me how many Dwarf Otos would do well in a 10 gallon? O.o I currently only have 2. I also have a pair of Apistogramma trifasciata, and 9 Dwarf Pencilfish. I was thinking of adding another 1 or 2 Otos to the tank. Would that be alright?

0 Not allowed!
    I have it, too, after setting up my tank again two weeks ago. I clean the glass the a paper towel and when the rocks and decorations get all ugly with it, I soak them in a mild solution of bleach water then soak in de-chlorinated water. All part of setting up a new tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, photos will help ID this properly. If it wipes off easily it's diatoms. I have it all the time in my tank and my otocinclus love it. They are fat and happy on it. I've no idea what I'd do without them (be tearing my hair out cleaning it off everything!)

Are you dosing any ferts/CO2?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I have root tabs in the tank and I dose Flourish and Iron once a week. I skipped this week simply because I overdosed last time. It is diatoms. That's what it looks like. @Lady Hobbs the tank isn't new.. Its almost a year old actually.. Maybe the lights made it go through a new balancing stage? I'm not sure. I removed the decaying Catappa leaves. The gravel under where they sat is all clean of algae XD I'm going to order 2 more Dwarf Otos. I lost one of the 3 I ordered last time so even if I lose one last time I'll still have a nice trio to keep the tank clean. Doing a wc tonight. Doing a thorough gravel cleaning and I'm going to clean the clay pot caves. Also going to add 4 more Catappa leaves to float and get things rolling. Hopefully my Aquaclear cycles quickly. I'll just continue doing my water changes and cleaning the gravel. Hopefully the diatoms ease up a bit. They're not bad and I don't mind them on the gravel or filters much but they're coating the glass and come back after a day or two after cleaning. Its so annoying XD
    Last edited by Gesp56; 08-23-2013 at 07:59 PM.