· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Got a used Rena xp3. Questions for anyone with experience with this filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have no experience with canister filters. I have a Rena Filstar XP3 that I got from someone else and it's going into a 75g. The filter is missing pretty much all its pipes. It's got the main body, trays, lid and quick disconnect. The previous owner had it running by just a tube sucking water in and then another tube that runs into a UV and then out into the tank again. I don't know where to get the original intake/outtake parts. The old owner used it on the 75G for Kois. I want to use it on tropical fish. Can anyone advise on how I can use this filter and set it up properly to support a tropical fish tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I really like the XP filters, I have two of them right now. You can order the missing parts on line. There are a lot avaliable on E-bay, just take the time to search for them and you will find them

The below might be helpful for you as well, or at least get you started

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/API_F...ion_book-2.pdf

If you search "Rena XP3" on youtube, you will also find a lot of instructional videos about this filter that will help you a lot more than me trying to explain it.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah it looks well built and functional. The filter accessory kit that comes with all the input/output is discontinued. No one has them in stock. Ebay shows no such luck. Buying individual pieces and paying for shipping is not worth it. Any other ideas? The old owner had it up and running, but how would you prime it and everything.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok here's a more specific question. If I were just running two simple hoses, how would I prime the filter and get it running? I know how priming works in a HOB, but not a canister.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttttrigg3r View Post
    Ok here's a more specific question. If I were just running two simple hoses, how would I prime the filter and get it running? I know how priming works in a HOB, but not a canister.
    Basically fill the canister with tank water. If you had the actual filter intake parts, there is cap that comes off where you fill the hose with water as well in order to prime the canister.

This part, if you lift up the lever, it'll keep the water from getting out of the hoses. You can fill the hose for the filter intake from there. Put the lever back down, and flick on the power.

The filter may be a bit noisy at first, that is mostly caused by the trapped air in the canister. It will take maybe 5-10 minutes to make its way out. I find shaking the canister gets the air out quicker, or if you are careful even flip the canister over a few times to push the air out.

By the way if you want to go the cheaper route rather than buying the rena parts, you could build your own spraybar with a length of pvc and drill holes in it, and a few other pvc fittings.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey thanks a lot for the help. Here's what I did to do a test run. I filled up the canister, put all the trays back into place and then put the cap back on. The one thing I don't get is why they make you pour water down that intake tube while the quick release is up. Anyways, I plug it in with intake tube down in a bucket of water and the outtake over the same water. I plug it in and there's just a noisy whirring sound like the thing was broke.
    Should I do the steps you say and let it run/ agitate the water to get it going? I know impellers aren't supposed to run dry, so I unplugged it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttttrigg3r View Post
    Hey thanks a lot for the help. Here's what I did to do a test run. I filled up the canister, put all the trays back into place and then put the cap back on. The one thing I don't get is why they make you pour water down that intake tube while the quick release is up. Anyways, I plug it in with intake tube down in a bucket of water and the outtake over the same water. I plug it in and there's just a noisy whirring sound like the thing was broke.
    Should I do the steps you say and let it run/ agitate the water to get it going? I know impellers aren't supposed to run dry, so I unplugged it.
    Well the reason why the quick release is up is, if it was down and you poured water into the intake, it would flow into the filter and out of the outtake, which would result in... the intake hose being empty again. So have to plug the tube somewhere when filling, the quick release does that. Just part of the priming process I guess. The noise might just be the air trapped inside the canister getting chopped up and taken out. Shaking the canister while it's running like a madman seems to work well for me. Noise also possibly could be gunk in the part where the impeller sits. Take a look at the impeller to see if it's still in one piece and not broken.