· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How to move a tank??

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, so the time has finally come for me to move. The thought of moving my 36g bowfront is causing my anxiety to spike. Here is stock list:
    10 rummy nose
    9 neons
    3 ottos
    couple black skirts
    1 panda garra...the other 2 BOTH jumped out to their deaths :(
    1 GBR
    1 bristlenose pleco
    handful of assassins (not sure, they are reproducing slowly, I know that though)
    and it's heavily planted with a good amount of drift wood.

I am only moving about 15-20 minutes away, so my plan is to get 2x 5g buckets and siphon tank water into both of them. I will then net the fish, and put them in the buckets. Continue draining remainder of the tank until it can be loaded in the car, while keeping my HOB filter/media wet. For now I am not going to worry about the assassins as I am hoping they just survive in whatever remnants of water is left for the time being. After I get to new apartment, immediately fill the tank 2/3rds(obviously treating with prime) and get filter running, and then simply net/dump the fish back into it with the old tank water.

Does this sound okay? Is there anything I am overlooking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always, thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd remove as much water as possible, leaving only the substrate in, and also remove and separately transport any large decorations and equipment such as filters and heaters

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above.

It wasn't mentioned so I will ask.. Have you checked the source water parameters and are they similar or identical in each location? Do acclimate if required.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

1 Not allowed!
    I've moved a few time now with fish tanks. I find buying a cheap plastic bins from walmart works well, a 25-30g bin for under 10 bucks. Take it to the new place and fill it with water and dechlor. I use it as a temporary fish tank. Then when you are ready to move, take the fish in bags or small containers along with the filters and such to the new place and set them up all up in the large bin. Can even run the filter in the bin as well. I just set it up in a corner out of the way somewhere, sometimes even leaving it set up for days on end. This helps a lot, can be stressful moving, this lets me take my time getting everything else to the new place. Afterwards the bin you can use for storage or whatever else you want. I actually use the plastic bins on a regular basis for raising fry when I run out of tank space.

0 Not allowed!
    i would suggest adding the water from the buckets the fish are in first because it is possible that water chemistry is different in your new house.
    then add the treated tap water. ( once the water in the bucket is getting low scoop up the fish and put them in)
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

1 Not allowed!
    Take it down and take everything out of it. It doesn't take that long and saves yourself a lot of risk of ruining the seals. When you get to your destination, drop an airstone in the pail with the fish so you can take your time setting it back up.

The filters will be fine. The bacteria doesn't die in that short a time. I would move first and return to get the tank the next day after you have the furniture where you plan to keep it. Easier.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just wanted to add that if you need buckets, you can often get leftover frosting buckets free from the bakery of your grocery store. They clean up real well with just plain water and a rag, and they have lids.