· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with sick tang...flukes??

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone-
    Long time stalker, first time posting.

I have a Powder Blue Tang - approx 3" long. She was added to my main tank after three weeks of QT and dosing with PraziPro as a preventative treatment. Upon 12 hours or so after entering the MT (180 gallons) I noticed the tang with periods of swimming erratically and twitching. She also had a small grey blotchy area on her right side...so needless to say she was removed from the MT and put back into QT. The best thing I could find which matched her symptoms was flukes?? she has no white spots.

She has now been in the QT tank (which is a 10gallon - and I know is not ideal size for this tang but it is all I had in the emergency) for 6 days now. I did the first dose with PraziPro on 8-15. Then on 8-19 did a 1.5 gallon water change and re-dosed PraziPro. She still has an appetite and loves seaweed, cyclops and mysis shrimp, although the twitching and erratic swimming doesn't seem better yet. Does this seem normal after 6 days of treatment? The small grey blotchy area on her side seems to be getting better. She has been trying to rub against the PVC pipe at times.

This tank is 10 gallons with a heater, HOB filter Aqueon Quietflo20 - no carbon, only floss, and a small powerhead for surface tension and a large PVC pipe for hiding.

Other parameters are in check, although I struggle keeping the pH up - Almost seems the PraziPro drops the pH each time.
    -Salinity 1.021
    -Ammonia < 0.25
    -Nitrite 0
    -Nitrate 0
    -pH 7.8 (just finished dosing with pH up. pH was 7.6, so I will check and dose again tomorrow)
    -temp 79 F

I am considering upgrading this tank to a 30 gallon thinking maybe the stress of a small tank is preventing her from getting better until I can add her into the 180 gal main tank... thoughts from anyone?? anyone else had luck with prazipro? I am nervous to freshwater dip her and put further stress. I also have Dr. G antiworm caviar but she doesn't like to eat the eggs.

Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks so much!

0 Not allowed!
    One of the potential reasons for your struggles with a low pH is most likely your low salinity. The salinity of the ocean were tangs are commonly found is actually around 1.026. The lower your salinity is from that, the harder your pH will be to stabilize as a low salinity will also lower your alkalinity and calcium levels (which help to stablisze your pH)

You really need to run the full 10 day treatment for the pazi-pro to work on flukes. I have found it to work each and every time when you follow the directions on the bottle

The grey(ish) patch sounds more like ick than flukes. If the light colored patch and flashing behavior is still there after 12 to 15 days, then I would suggest treating the fish for ick with coppurmine (as fairly safe copper based ick med).

The bigger the QT tank, the more comfortable the tang will feel which will go a long way to help your tang. I use a 40 gallon breeder for my QT tank for any tang that I buy. Just go with the biggest one you can get.

I would never recommend a FW dip for a marine fish. IMO, that can case more harm than good. Just my $0.02 tho

The below links might also help

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/mai...yon-irritants/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/ph-...ine-aquariums/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/the...er-parameters/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff

Thank you so much for the great info and great links! I have bookmarked them for future references.

I do agree my tang has some of the symptoms of ich. Today is day 7 of Prazipro. So maybe I give it until this weekend and if still no improvement I would like to move forward with the coppurmine treatment.

Would I need to use a carbon filter to remove all prazipro before I started the coppurmine treatment? Also if water changes are preformed with the coppurmine is it redosed accordingly?

I also hope her 12 hours in my DT didn't cause the other fish/corals any potential for ich. They all seem okay so far.

Great article on the salinity...which now makes sense why I battle my alkalinity in the DT.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Not allowed!
    Prazi-pro and coppurmine are safe to use at the same time, however, it is easier on the fish is you remove as much of the prazi-pro as you can. It certainly won't hurt to complete a water change or run carbon for a day before starting the coppurmine (if it comes to that).

Just keep a close eye on your fish in the DT for the next few weeks. Healthy and happy fish will have a very good chance to fight off ick when / if they are exposed.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]