· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Why me? lost my cycle?

0 Not allowed!
    my bad luck continues.
    today i woke up and saw a not so healthy platy.
    it didn't look to bad, just wasn't eating and not so healthy and active .
    i ate breakfeast and went to perform a water change. the platy was doing a lot worse.
    not it was lying on its side and pumping its gills like mad.
    i then did a 50% water change. i was in a panic so i forgot to test before the water change
    then after the water change i tested.
    ammonia .25- .5
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 10-20

so with simple math the results before the water change would have been
    ammonia: .5- 1
    nitrate: 20-40.
    how could i have ammonia.
    i haven't touched my media in 4 months.
    didn't change media. and did not mess with the filters.
    the only thing that changed was me adding 6 neon tetras 2 dat before.
    could my bb not handle the additional load? and why such high nitrates
    i have a 20 gallon planted tank. i have a tetra whisper pf10 and an aquaclear 30 as filteration.
    my stock is 2 platy, 1 blue ram, 14 neon tetra, 2 oto.
    thank you in advance
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    99% of the time bad luck in this hobby is caused by poor decisions by the fish keeper. How soon after the water change did you test? Test again just to be sure of the numbers.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    right after.
    i'll test again when i arrive at my house
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to be helpful [as you said I was in another thread, thank you for that.].

I would venture to say this is due to the soft water. Especially if none of the other fish aside from the platy are showing any issues. The lack of minerals weakens the fish (livebearers) and they are working much harder internally to try and compensate, but eventually it just fails. The fish may succumb to other issues which may be the actual cause of death.

You mentioned Island Pets in a PM. The owner, Grant, told me a couple years back that when he originallymoved to Van from back east, he couldn't understand why so many customers in his store kept losing fish. He managed to put 2 and 2 together, and discovered that it was always livebearers, and this was due to our soft water. The livebearers in the store usually came and went fairly fast, so losses in the store were no more than what often occurs with new fish. He then started educating customers about hardening the water for these fish.

In your case, I wouldn't do this unless you set up a tank specifically for livebearers. I did this many years ago; I had a tank of black molly which did well, because I used a dolomite gravel for the substrate.

But to your other issues, ammonia and nitrate. How often do you regularly do water changes, and what percentage of the tank volume? And what substances are being added to the water (conditioner, plant fertilizers, etc) and which brands?

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You haven't lost your cycle. The increased ammonia was most likely caused by the additional neons. your filter simply hasn't had a chance to catch up with the increased bioload. so you're experiencing a mini cycle. you'll need to do some additional water changes for a week or so until the BB grows enough to handle the extra load.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    good.
    in the process of testing agian.
    some bad news.
    the platy died. what ever happened it happened fast.
    i don't think this is beacause of ammonia poisoning.

Awards Showcase

For your loss. - steeler1 <3 - Sandz Let's have a toast...TO DISCUS!!! - Slaphppy7 So I don't have to drink alone to celebrate your new discus ;-) - wgoldfarb One more fish for the tank, happy the Discus got thier in such great shape. - steeler1 
    A Toast To An Awesome Discus Owner! - Slaphppy7 For a succesfull Discus move!! - steeler1 A toast to more discus! - Slaphppy7 For another safe arrival! - steeler1 For the loss of you Cory's - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above, great advice fishmommie!

0 Not allowed!
    0 ammonia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    yay

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear it. Remember to wait a little bit, maybe an hour, after a water change to test parameters.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Glad to hear it. Remember to wait a little bit, maybe an hour, after a water change to test parameters.
    can you explain to me why?