· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Advantage of LED lighting?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently run a fluorescent lit 36g bow front tank. I work at a chain pet store and I am constantly stocking led lighting because it sells so well.

I've searches google and have found dozens of opinions. But for a plant-less tank such as mine is there any advantage to led?
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderbite View Post
    I've searches google and have found dozens of opinions. But for a plant-less tank such as mine is there any advantage to led?
    . . . OTTOMH, LEDs are easier on your power bill and have no annual bulb replacement.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Agree. When the lighting is solely there for the benefit of the aquarist (to view the fish), then good LED lighting will be much less costly to operate. The high initial cost is still more than fluorescent lighting, and while it is true that "bulbs" or "tubes" do not have to be replaced because LED doesn't burn out, there is a finite life to LED at which point the entire fixture needs to be replaced. But depending upon the years the LED may continue to light, this is not always easy to work out.

You can get some lovely shimmering sunlight effects with LED that are not possible with fluorescent tubes or CFL bulbs.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Well stock ones are a little less versitle than diy or customs. Buts for stock:
    Sun rise/set features that is impossible with others.
    Light weight and sleeker look
    Lower power consumption
    Shimmer affects on sum
    Less heat given off
    Lower upkeep cost
    By the time the leds need replacing there might be a new age of lighting.
    Worst leds are usually rated at 10k hrs run time, better ones up to 50k hrs!

Custom /diy can do all above and:
    Light intesity adjustment without loosing bulbs or new fixture
    If done right the heat from sinks might be able.to help heat the tank
    Cheap ones can be made easlily
    Fun to make.....

The only down sides i can see to leds:
    Start up cost
    Need to replace entire fixture to replace.the light
    Might not have the perfect spectrum you want
    ..... cant think of many more cons....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    The biggest pro for me is that they create no heat. This was the #1 reason I chose an LED unit. Fluorescents would heat up my water and I would have to really lower my thermostat in the summer to keep the tank at 77 degrees. My electric bill would be a lot higher. And my 48 inch unit only uses 11 watts. I love the shimmer effect and the low profile. I will be ordering a 48 inch Current USA Satellite LED+ fixture for my dual 29 gal setup.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 08-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Leds are low heat lights but not no heat lights. Im guessing youve.never touched a 10w led without a heatsink.... But that being said leds disipate their heat away from the water mostly.
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Leds are low heat lights but not no heat lights. Im guessing youve.never touched a 10w led without a heatsink.... But that being said leds disipate their heat away from the water mostly.
    I have cool to the touch LED lights I use at Christmas. They produce no heat at all. My single brite tank unit is barely warm to the touch on the top of the unit and cool to the touch on the bottom that faces the tank. When the unit is on, my tank temp does not rise. The double brite units I have seen at the LFS produce heat on the top.
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I totally agree that some leds seem like they dont produce heat, i too thought leds where heatless light but it turns out all leds will produce at least some heat. If it didnt then it would be a 100% efficiency light and thats only theoretical. But ive been tinkering with leds, arduino controller and small cooling pumps, to help heat my tanks. Its still in beta testing as im making sure theres nothing that will fail. But doing something like that will reduce electric bills in the colder months quite a bit ( unless the pumps turn out they are using more energy than they are saving.... Thats my final hurtle lol)
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    I totally agree that some leds seem like they dont produce heat, i too thought leds where heatless light but it turns out all leds will produce at least some heat. If it didnt then it would be a 100% efficiency light and thats only theoretical. But ive been tinkering with leds, arduino controller and small cooling pumps, to help heat my tanks. Its still in beta testing as im making sure theres nothing that will fail. But doing something like that will reduce electric bills in the colder months quite a bit ( unless the pumps turn out they are using more energy than they are saving.... Thats my final hurtle lol)
    Cool. Good luck with your tinkering. It amazes me how you can do DIY electrical with those little LEDs. That's one area I stay away from!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    it helps to have an AS in ee and furthing it with a dual major in ee/cs.
    gotta love them bunnies!