· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I will do a journal...I need to find my camera though for some higher quality stuff.

I do have one more question, for a 180G can i get recommendations on filters from you guys? I was looking at a fluval FX5 online rated for 400 gallons that can run 925 gallons per hour on sale for $360. Would that be suitable to run by itself for a super community or some type of cichilid set up?

Will I need multiple filters with an fx5 on there?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey View Post
    I was looking at a fluval FX5 online rated for 400 gallons that can run 925 gallons per hour on sale for $360. Great filter, IME you can get one for far far less though.
    Will I need multiple filters with an fx5 on there?
    Depends entirely upon your stocking.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, well say I don't want to stock with any of the large puffer species or anything as big as an Oscar.

What about cichilids 6'' and under and a great deal of schooling fish? Filter recommendations on that. I don't have any set numbers in my head to stocking just yet, but I imagine this tank would have no problem holding 75-100 schooling fish of various species with adequate filtration.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey View Post
    What about cichilids 6'' and under and a great deal of schooling fish? Filter recommendations on that. I don't have any set numbers in my head to stocking just yet, but I imagine this tank would have no problem holding 75-100 schooling fish of various species with adequate filtration.
    There's more to consider than the size of the fish. We still need to narrow the potential stock. [Because IE: Africans aren't a community fish. ]

Are you considering something along the lines of rainbows, Acaras, or Sevs or dwarfs or ???
    Not all of these are under 6" btw.. Just throwing out options..
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've taken a liking to rainbows especially, like sepik rainbows and some of the larger schooling varieties. I think for the level of activity I want community is the way to go.

so lets start a desired stocking list:

15x assorted rainbows
    2x schools (10-20) of various tetras
    1x school (10-15) cories
    BN Pleco
    3-5 HorseFace loaches
    7-10 Hatchetfish

None of these fish are massive by any means, and I feel like if I stay around this size I could probably increase my stocking. But if I follow this general pattern of community fish under 6'' what would be your recc on filtration?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Part of me also wants to get a school of Pacu or Piranhas, although I realize that's all I could have. But I think the novelty of having a school of high maintenance killers would wear off quickly.