· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New tank from CL, how good of a deal is this? And stocking.....

0 Not allowed!
    I recently just moved into a new house and have a completely empty room to house tanks. I had a 40g and a 75g and rehomed the few fish i had and wanted to start from scratch when I moved. I think I'm gonna sell my other two tanks after seeing this deal on Craigslist. He says its a 125 Gallon Tank at 72 inches long- 22 inches wide- and 26 inches tall with a stand and lid for $200. I did the volume calculator and with those dimensions it says its a 178 gallon tank. Is that right or am I doing something wrong here?

I have the space and some equipment, and I have the money to invest in better stuff, especially after selling off some things I have. But now the question is what to do with it if I get it. my 70g was a brackish with some F8 Puffers, and I'm thinking about getting a Fahaka Puffer and that's it. The idea of a super community tank also sounds pretty awesome with that much space.

My 38 gallon community was pretty basic, a few platys and mollys and some dojo loaches. I want to do something exotic and different and i have a blank canvas and an open budget.

Let the suggestions roll in please!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    There is a standard 125 gallon aquarium that is 72"x18"x24". The dimensions he gives are not standard, and, as you found, not equal to 125 gallons. So you'll definitely want to get that straightened out. I've dealt with craigslist sellers that do not know what size their own tanks are.

A rule of thumb I've used for used tanks is that $1/gallon is a decent deal. That's just for the tank itself, so if the tank truly is the dimensions he's listing, and the stand that comes with it is acceptable to you, then you've got a pretty good deal.

Is it glass or acrylic?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is glass, I don't have anyway of moving it, and he said for an extra $50 he'd deliver it the roughly 60 miles round trip. The stand was somewhat basic with no doors or anything but I can make some improvements to it. From all the picture is seems to be in very good condition and relatively new and clean at least.

based on those dimensions it still seems like a steal even with the extra $50 for delivery into my house and the guy helping move it.

Now that I'm a homeowner and know I'll be here a while, I really want to go all out on this. I've seen a lot of people really love oscars/severums and other cichilds and I havent owned something that gets so big before. Any suggestions on stocking with an oscar(s?) being the centerpiece?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a good deal to me. For O"s I'd do 2x and a 1 sev, if you get little, then I canister filter is a must and some hang on backs as well. Then weekly 50% water changes. In the end the Os may bully the sev and you may have to rehome him

0 Not allowed!
    I would take the delivery fee of $50 for a 60 mile round trip. Gas is pretty expensive out here. I would ask before you bought it for a remeasure of the tank though, because you can get screwed on CL. Also I would suggest against having just the one puffer, it could get pretty boring.

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I want to do something exotic and different and i have a blank canvas and an open budget.
    Man, that must be nice...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will be going to the sellers house to help him load it in his truck and I will inspect/remeasure there. I will gladly help the guy out even with the fee.

I'm thinking about starting an aquarium journal for this tank.....

What would you guys recommend for filtration for a super community in the 180g? I don't have anything currently that could handle something this massive on its own.

0 Not allowed!
    Are you set on doing a freshwater tank? Want to try and venture into SW?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my mind I seem somewhat set on FW as I still only have a couple years experience in FW under my belt. The massive costs of SW initially are what's turning me off. I have the $$ but it doesnt mean I want to spend it.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonkyTheDonkey View Post
    I'm thinking about starting an aquarium journal for this tank....
    We love journals with photos.........
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"