· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question 55 Gallon Potential Community Question

0 Not allowed!
    I have been doing a lot of research for our first 55 gallon setup and have received some help from here already as well. I have narrowed down my possible community to the following:

9 Tiger Barbs
    5 Rosy Barbs
    3 Kuhli Loaches
    6 Zebra Danio

It will be sand substrate with some fake plants (maybe 1 real to try and see how it goes) and rocks/stones for hiding places for the Loaches.

So, would this setup work or is that too crowded? I know it goes a bit beyond the rule of 1" of fish per gallon, but with bio-loads and what not, am I correct this might be sufficient for a fully stocked tank?

Should I maybe bring down the number of Tiger Barbs to say 7 and the Rosy Barbs to 4?

0 Not allowed!
    3 kuhli loaches will be invisible most of th etime.

There is no inch per gallon rule, it's a guideline at best.

I don't think numbers are the issue here but mixing tigers and rosey barbs might be. Good chance the tigers will rule the tank.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would work if you raise you schools a bit, say 10 Danios and 8 Rosy barbs and 6 Kuhlis. That being said; the Kuhli's might get nipped by the Tiger barbs. Anytime you you have TB's in the tank even with big schools, somebodys bound to be bullied.

Why not try Black ruby barbs (Pethia nigrofasciata) instead? A colorful alternative but no where as agressive or Five banded barbs (Puntius pentazona) if you like the TB's coloring.

Just trying to help you avoid a possible headache down the road.
    Last edited by steeler58; 08-21-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really like the Fiveband Barb! Thanks for the heads up. For some reason, the entire time I've been trying to build a community, I always end back up with the Tiger Barbs and don't know why. I've been going in circles trying to find them tank mates.

So here's the modified community per the suggestions (please correct me if this isn't correct):

10 Fiveband Barbs
    8 Rosy Barbs
    6 Kuhli Loaches
    10 Zebra Danio

0 Not allowed!
    That's looking better. I'll just toss out a couple observations, if I may.

Do you really like kuhli? In this sized tank, a group of one of the small-medium sized loaches might provide more interest and be more obvious. Botia kubotai (my particular favourite, one of the best community loaches) and B. striata come to mind; or the smaller "dwarf" species like Micronemacheilus cruciatus [my other favourite] or Ambastaia sidthimunki.

I might rethink the danio too, because this is a very active fish and the two barbs are not. Puntius pentazona is a bit shy sometimes, and can be outcompeted for food by boistrous tankmates. Instead of the danio, the Black Ruby Barb already mentioned (Pethia nigrofasciata is the new scientific name), or if that is too much "banded barb" for you, one of the medium rasbora.

I always include live plants, but if you feel a bit daunted, you can do a more authentic Asian river tank and just have floating plants which are easy, and still provide the benefits of fast growing plants plus shade which is especially important to the five banded barb. A fine gravel or sand substrate, river rock in various sizes to replicate boulders and such, and chunks of bogwood--the Malaysian Driftwood is ideal, as it has tunnels the loaches will love playing through.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-21-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    If your wanting the "asian" look and you like fish that swim in the upper part of the tank than maybe sub Harlequin rasboras for the Danios, still an active fish but not as "manic" as the Danios.

If you've got your heart set on Kuhli's get them, but they do spent alot of time hidden. I do like Byron's suggestion of Ambastaia sidthimunki. A little expensive but their charm makes up for it.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The live plants do concern me a bit (having to deal with the CO2 and all), I was wanting to focus more on keeping the fish at this point (I realize the live plants are very beneficial, just more chemistry as far as my understanding). I will look into getting some floating plants as well.

Does the sand have to be of a particular color (can we do black)?

I like the thought of the driftwood and river rock. Will definitely do that.

So here's the new community:

10 Fiveband Barbs
    8 Rosy Barbs
    8 Black Ruby Barbs
    3? Botia Kubotai

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not big on the Harlequin rasboras and the Kuhli is just something I found I thought would fit in the original community.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, thinking of dropping the schools by 1 each, so:

9 Fiveband Barbs
    7 Rosy Barbs
    7 Black Ruby Barbs
    3 Botia Kubotai

0 Not allowed!
    90g Apr 18-13.jpgIncrease the loaches to minimum 5, but 6 would be fine. They are highly social (as indeed most all loaches are), but males can be "pushy" and 5+ is less likely to find one being picked on. I've never had this problem simply because I always have 5-6 in a group. To sit and watch two males "challenging" each other by spinning around in a circle, first clockwise, then counter, first one leading, then the other--is indeed gratifying; I've seen two keep this up for over 3 hours.

On the sand, yes, black is fine, though that would be aquarium sand and much more expensive. I use Quikrete Play Sand from Home Depot; two bags would do your 55g with some to spare. I have fine gravel in my loach tank, I'll attach a photo to show what I meant about wood and rocks, though most of the wood is hidden under moss and plants; one of the B. kubotai is over at the left sitting on the rock. I happen to have substrate plants, some swords that were adventitious plants from my main tank swords, but you could leave them out and have more wood, with the floating plants. There are no substrate plants in the natural habitats of loaches. But they do love tunnels in wood. They play games of "tag," disappearing in one tunnel and coming out somewhere else. My dwarf loaches are especially fond of doing this.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]