· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default does my bad luck ever run out?

0 Not allowed!
    well today i wanted to return my 3 nerite snails for 3 other nerite snails at another lfs.
    they wouldn't give me back my money, only store credit to use on other fish from that store.
    so i settled and got 6 neon tetras for my 10 gallon betta tank.
    i was sure the betta will get along with the neons because i added a few neons last week from my 20 and they got along.
    well guess what?
    he changed his mind and decided to nearly kill them.
    luckly i got them out of there in time and added them into the 20.
    now with
    1 german blue ram
    14 neon tetra
    2 platy
    and 2 oto
    is my 20 gallon over crowded.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry your betta didn't take to the neons. You just never know about those guys
    Some may disagree, but as long as you keep on top of your water changes, don't over feed, and monitor your parameters, your 20 should be okay. Sounds like it's a pretty tank.
    pictures would be good :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    not so much...
    tooooooo much algae
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot about that.
    Is there anything to keep you from cleaning up the algae? Can you take the fish out of the tank and put them in a tub with a running filter for 30 minutes or so, then clean that tank from top to bottom?
    Maybe if you once get it cleaned out, you'll have a better chance of keeping it out.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    did that once. soon it will grow back.
    i guess i am gonna have to move the tank

0 Not allowed!
    What type of algae? I may have some suggestions. I've no algae issues any longer, but have solved a few in my time.

On the 20g, I agree with fishmommie, do weekly 50% water changes, don't overfeed, lots of live plants esp floating, and should be no problems. [Except for those platy--another story we are aware of.]

Betta is a risk with other fish. I had a betta many years ago that easily ate neons. And more often the reverse is the problem, the small tetra decide to nip the betta's fins. Betta are best on their own.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    what do you mean the platy is a problem?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    what do you mean the platy is a problem?
    That was the soft/hard water issue, remember?
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have any pictures of your tank? The one next to your name, is that your tank? I can't enlarge it and don't know if it's been mentioned before but can you cover the back? That might help with the too much light issue.

Bryon, I was just reading the thread on that issue..very interesting and informative I must say, I really learned quite a bit and from it am interested in researching more. Thanks for all the great info!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    well guess what?
    he changed his mind and decided to nearly kill them.
    luckly i got them out of there in time and added them into the 20.
    now with
    1 german blue ram
    14 neon tetra
    2 platy
    and 2 oto
    is my 20 gallon over crowded.
    That story has nothing to do with bad luck and everything with you taking a chance.

Do a nitrate test on the tank, should be just acceptable.