· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question 29g SW reef tank

0 Not allowed!
    So I've decided to make the tank I just got a SW tank.
    Details: its a 29g Tank,
    the current light fixture is a single tube setup.

What I want to do with it: I want this to be a reef tank, have some polyps, maybe mixed corals, and anemone.
    Stock: I'd like to have 2 clowns, and a shrimp, with a Starfish, OR possible any stocking setup that could have a Dragonet/ Green Mandarin. Live Aquria has them slated for 30g tanks?

What I want to get help with is what substrates do you guys prefer and have the best luck with? Should I get a Protein skimmer for that setup?
    I was thinking of getting one Powerhead, but I've seen good flow setups with two. How much live rock should I have etc.

Any advice on stocking this tank and setup would be great. I'm no rush to get this up and can take my time to make this is perfect as I can.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow those are alot of question. lol

First off, unless you find a mated pair of Clowns, one per tank is my suggestion. These guys are really territorial.
    Two, unless you can guarantee a steady supply of cope pods I wouldn't get a mandarin.
    These are my favourite saltwater fish species and after almost a year I'm sure I dont have enough pods in my 55 gallon to keep one fed.
    I have live sand in my tank but alot of reefers say to have a bare bottom tank as it makes live easier. With the live sand you need something to stir it up like nassarious snails which I did acquire for that reason. Gases develop under the sand and if left unchecked will rise into your tank water and cause bad water parameters.
    A protein skimmer in a sump under your tank is a major plus for maintenance.
    I have 4 power heads in my 55 gallon with another I use for mixing stuff. 1 is not enough.
    Live rock or man made rock is going to be your filtration system. Don't cheap out. At least 1 pound per gallon and more if you can afford it is wise. Cycle your tank with the live rock to start.
    Hint; if your going with a substrate, add it when you add the live rock during the cycle period.
    Man thats all the info I've learned from Cliff during my set-up. Check his profile and you'll find a ton of info on the stuff your asking about.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I diffently want to go with some live sand just because I like the look of it. And thanks for the advice on the Clowns. A few of the LFS by have a paired ones, so I'll make sure to find a pair to go with them.

Its really a shame about the Dragonets, my LFS of choice has a good number of them.

I was thinking of going with Two powerheads.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Have a glance at this place.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/

Don't forget to come back though.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Always will! *points to start date*

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For powerheads I'm thinking two of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=8-1

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would be best to first decide the exact corals and stock that you ones. Even the categories of corals (and the anemone as well) that you have listed have different requirements which are also different from most anemones. Take a good like within each category and once you have made a few selections, I can give you a lot better suggestions for your set-up.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I like your choice in a power head with magnetic mounts. Now 425's are not bad but think about going one size up. A reef needs current. One power head to disturb the surface in one direction, and the other power head to create a current through your live rocks in the opposite direction. The 800's are good for that.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the advice and help so far.

I'm not gonna go with an anemone, the cons just don't out weigh the pros for me, and I'd rather not risk one killing off my coral in a new setup once I get it established. I've been looking going with hard corals and polyps:
    These are the ones I was looking to place in the tank Eventually:
    Eagle Eye (Zoanthus sp.
    Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa
    Birdsnest Coral, Green : Seriatopora guttatus)
    Green Fluorescent Mushroom

Then I would later get others that matched the tank.

30-40pounds of LR is planed to get. my LFS of choice sells if for 2.99 a pound.
    They also have plenty of clown fish that have been living in tanks with another clownfish for long time(so it looks like stocking two paired isn't a problem)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Eagle Eye (Zoanthus sp.
    Water: Med
    Lighting: Moderate
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.0-8.4

Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa -
    Water: Low
    Lighting: Moderate
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025

Birdsnest Coral, Green - Aquacultured, ORA® (Seriatopora guttatus)
    water: Med-to strong
    lighting: High
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025

Green Fluorescent Mushroom -
    Water: Low to Medium
    Lighting:Moderate
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F,

There are the "specs for the corals I'd like to have...Any suggests then for flow, and lighting?

I'm planning to go with a HOB P Skimmer and possible HOB ref because I don't have the space for a sump with the way my stand is setup.