· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    picture065.jpg

So the Piping Arrived :D
    I've ordered some plants of the internet and seem to have been given mostly non aquatic plants :/ stuff like -Trichomanes javanicum...
    So I've started growing the plants on top of the 3D background- ( I've got quite a collection of them now from being tricked by fish stores and the internet ) - I'm hoping they will grow around the entrance to the bridge - and cover up the horrible grey corners :
    I was thinking, should i put anything inside the bridge or leave it bare? Its quite large - 18" long with a 4" diameter....

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your plants :-( at least you found good use for them covering the corners of the bridge.

I would leave the inside of the bridge empty. For one, access inside the bridge is tricky, so if you ever need to clean or do any type of maintenance inside the bridge you would probably have to take the bridge out of the water. For similar reasons you don't want anything that might block water flow and thus cause any type of debris to settle inside the bridge, or anything that might make it too tight for fish to swim freely inside.

The only thing I'd consider to make fish more comfortable inside is perhaps painting the bottom of the bridge (on the outside) a dark color, so fish don't feel like they are "flying" or feel so exposed, but I'm not sure how good this would look... I think I'd leave the bridge as-is for now and see how fish take to it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, so I thought id update you as to the bridges progress.
    Its been running for a couple of weeks and its been really interesting !
    It's amazing to see how each fish reacts differently to the bridge, the following species have used it so far:
    Angelfish, Gourami ( these fish seem to freak out whilst in the pipe, because they cant find the surface- but use it the most - many times a day) Platys, Corydoras,cherry Barbs, black skirt tetra, bristlenose plecs, otos, khuli loaches..... my bala shark and cardinals seem like they will never use it, and rhinogobius wui have yet to use it :) my gourami and platys use it the most while shoaling fish seem to use it the least... its lead to some really interesting side effects: including the fact that ive rediscovered fish id thought id lost! my synodontis have reappeared - maybe because of the reduced stocking and so feel more comfortable exploring and also my bristlenose who i wouldnt see for weeks at a time has actually been seen cleaning :D it has lead to the issue with the black skirt tetras and increased aggression, because the shoals are being reduced in size as they spread over tanks and becoome spereated, so more aggresion :/ but im hoping that will pass as the fish become more comfortable using the pipe! :)
    Does anyone know of any confident and intelligent fish species for a planted setup because i feel like theyd be the most likely to use the pipe? :)

0 Not allowed!
    Glad for you that it worked out so well!

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool... glad to hear it's working so well! Would love to see some pictures!

1 Not allowed!
    Photos please!

Lots of photos!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~