· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Did something eat my guppy?

0 Not allowed!
    On Saturday I finally got to add a few fish to my tank. I went to the locally owned fish store which is owned/run by a woman who knows her stuff. She helped me limit my choices to fishes that are usually peaceful but warned me that you still have to watch because there can always be a fish that doesn't behave typically. On Saturday I got the following: 2 danios, 1 fancy male guppy (I couldn't help myself...he was just too cute); 2 bloodfin tetras and a corycat. I went back this morning to get a glofish tetra (I know...but it was for my granddaughter) and 2 platys. Everything was fine. Eight hours later and I can't find my guppy. I checked the filter to make sure that he didn't get sucked up but he isn't there. I realize he is small and can hide but I don't think I would miss that tail. Could one of these eaten it? I mean, I can't find any piece of him.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowergardener View Post
    On Saturday I finally got to add a few fish to my tank. I went to the locally owned fish store which is owned/run by a woman who knows her stuff. She helped me limit my choices to fishes that are usually peaceful but warned me that you still have to watch because there can always be a fish that doesn't behave typically. On Saturday I got the following: 2 danios, 1 fancy male guppy (I couldn't help myself...he was just too cute); 2 bloodfin tetras and a corycat. I went back this morning to get a glofish tetra (I know...but it was for my granddaughter) and 2 platys. Everything was fine. Eight hours later and I can't find my guppy. I checked the filter to make sure that he didn't get sucked up but he isn't there. I realize he is small and can hide but I don't think I would miss that tail. Could one of these eaten it? I mean, I can't find any piece of him.
    Not a good stocking list - danios are a schooling fish (need 8-10) and bloodfin tetras are a shoaling fish (need at least 6). Cories should be in groups of at least 6. And the bloodfins can be nippy to long finned fish. The guppy might be scared to come out.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You were right....he was hiding and something has been nipping at his tail. He did fine for 2 days with the danio and bloodfin. He only had this problem since I added the platys and the glofish tetra.....would one of those nip at his tail?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been watching the fish to figure out who the trouble maker is. The bloodfin tetras and very active but they don't seem to bother any of the fish....the only issue is that they are very fast and chase each other around the tank constantly. The only fish I've seen them show any interest in is the male red wag platy. The male platy doesn't seem very happy in the tank. The female platy is all over the tank and very friendly. The male goes to a bottom corner and just sits there. If the bloodfin comes up he shakes his body at him and his top fin is down. The male platy isn't social at all with the rest of the tank. The largest fish would be the glowfish tetra. He doesn't seem to bother anyone though. The problem didn't start until I added the male & female platy and the glowfish tetra

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've continued to watch and the male platy does not actually go after fish but when they come up to him to check him out....he nips at them.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowergardener View Post
    You were right....he was hiding and something has been nipping at his tail. He did fine for 2 days with the danio and bloodfin. He only had this problem since I added the platys and the glofish tetra.....would one of those nip at his tail?
    You can ignore gronlaura's reply all you like but it's not going to change the truth. With this stock (from a show who's owner knows her stuff?!?!) you'll always have nipping issues. Other stress related complaints like ich lurch just around the corner.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so which ones should I return and what should I get more of? I trusted the woman who owns the store since she is also in charge of all the local business fish tanks (the giant ones at hospitals, etc.). If I want to keep the guppy (one, he's cute and two, I doubt anyone would take him back because of his tail), which are the ones I should keep and add more of that will get along with the guppy? He was fine with the danios.....so does that mean I should return the large glofish tetra and platys and get more danios or would platys and danios be okay?

0 Not allowed!
    If you wish to keep the guppy, here's what I suggest. I am unaware of the size of the tank that you have, so I am taking a guess.

Many don't think of Guppies as "schooling" fish, but they do best when in the company of their own kind. Get males in pairs, and no females. Just the males or you will have bigger problems, i.e. a tank full of guppies in a few months. They tend to not fight if they are in paired groups of males, so even numbers, like 2, 4, or 6. They tend to team up so no one guppy gets singled out for a beating. They also are less skittish when in pairs, and play a LOT, they will be the most active fish in your tank. Its likely hiding as yours is a singleton with other non suitable fish, and also it doesn't have a partner in crime.

As for the others, I am assuming these are Zebra danio? I could be wrong. I would keep the danios and get return the rest, and up the school of the Danio to around 7. The danio and the guppies should make for a relatively harmonious tank with lots of activity.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    All depends on the size of the tank. Danio is a robust fish and a fine choice if you got a tank at least 2 ft long. If you don't then perhaps go for guppies.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 20 gallon tank (24" wide). The 2 danios are glofish danios (explanation: granddaughter). My favorites are the guppies, platys, and glofish danios (they make my granddaughter happy). I have also ordered an aquaclear 50 filter to replace the filter that came with the tank. Also, on a positive note, I separated the glofish tetra (I think they are actually white skirt tetra?) from the tank and the guppy came out of hiding and is swimming around tank.
    Last edited by flowergardener; 08-20-2013 at 12:32 PM.