· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default rummy nose has white spots

0 Not allowed!
    I recently got some rummynose tetras and until this morning I discovered the rummynose has white spots on them im going to remove them from the tank and do a water change. The filter im running is a eheim 2215. Now if I was to put any melafix to try and kill off any disease would it affect the good bacteria in my filter? Please help me

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix is bb safe. Ive never had an issue, but white spots are a sign of ick and melafix wont do spit for that. One method of treating ick is warm water (like 80/82*) and maybe some salt. That would speed up the icks growth so it safely dies off without attacking the fishes gills. The salt is to prevent secondary infections from the ick.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had this happen before to my rummys. White spots is usually ick. Turn the water to 86 (sloooowly like 1 degree per hour) and add some salt - about 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Be careful if you have loaches or other "scaleless" fish as they do not appreciate the salt. Plants won't either. It's best to have a QT tank but if not, just make sure all salt is dissolved into new water when you do your water change.

You should think about what you did differently. If you recently added fish, you may have gotten bad batch or they are stressed and weak allowing ick to take over. With good water quality, the fish may rebound without needing to medicate.

You also want to make sure you have a nice size school of Rummys as they feel safer in large groups. A school of 6 is minimum and they really do better with 12 if not more. I have over 20 and think they are the coolest school I have because of how they follow eachother.

Good luck!

Good luck!
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can get the same result and kill the ich with no salt. simply up your heat to 86F and leave it for 7 - 10 days AFTER you see the last spot on the last fish.

If you do add salt, however, add it slowly. Mix your full dose of salt with some water you remove from the tank, then add at back in a little at time over several hours. if you add it all at once, you can shock the fish and kill them.

again - heat works fine as long as you keep the temp high enough long enough as I said above.
    good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    You can get the same result and kill the ich with no salt. simply up your heat to 86F and leave it for 7 - 10 days AFTER you see the last spot on the last fish.

If you do add salt, however, add it slowly. Mix your full dose of salt with some water you remove from the tank, then add at back in a little at time over several hours. if you add it all at once, you can shock the fish and kill them.

again - heat works fine as long as you keep the temp high enough long enough as I said above.
    good luck.
    +1 to the above, with no salt. It worked for me.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. With rummys they can tolerate heat, so I would up the temp to close to 90F for at least one week.

Characins (of which tetra are) are highly intolerant of salt; it causes considerable stress, and likely internal problems. To allow the fish to conserve strength to fight off the ich, the less that goes in the water the better.

And I agree that you need to add more to the group, once this is dealt with. Twelve is a good minimum for this species, as someone mentioned.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All my rummy nose ended up dying :( I did a water change and I've got the temp at 25.5 degrees Celsius. I've had a few other fish dying on me also

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really sorry about your fish.
    Can you tell us more about your tank so we can help and maybe stop other deaths?
    How large is the tank?(gallons or liters). How long has it been set up? Did you cycle it and if so how (with ammonia or with fish in it)? What other fish do you have and how many of each?
    What is your filtration system? what are your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates? Ph?
    Answers to all of these questions will help us try to figure out what's going on with your tank.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I second fishmommie, we really need that info to help.

On rummynose tetra, this is a very delicate fish among tetra, much like the cardinal and neon. I will never add any of these to a tank that is not well established. Back before I understood this, I lost most of them each time. After the tank has been running for say 2 months or more, and has live plants (floating work fine for this), it is safer to introduce more sensitive fish like the rummys.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys sorry I haven't been on here in a long time but with the water changes I did it did nothing to prevent the ick I'm losing most of my fish day by day they are covered in white spots. Tonight I took out my big female bristle nose she was still on the glass dead I'm absolutely shattered that I lost her she was my favorite of the lot :(