· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Should I be concerned?

0 Not allowed!
    I went to a friend's house today to get some drift wood and other stuff out of his tank. After I got home, he called and said that the tank was in the middle stages of cycling and the piece of wood I took was a good media item incase I wanted it for my tank. My question is, should I be concerned that my arm was inside his 46g tank which he had put pure ammonia in there (roughly 1-2ppm)? Will it cause burning or any other side effects? I read around and it said it could kill skin cells and other stuff so I'm a bit... worried.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm no chemist, but I think that if the ammonia were going to burn you, you would feel it right away. Have you washed your skin off, to be on the safe side?

0 Not allowed!
    There is a very very big difference between pure ammonia in the bottle from the store, and watered down ammonia (even 4ppm) in a aquarium

If your skin is not reacting now, it likely won't. Wash you arm/hand very well with soap and water and you should be OK
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I washed my arm multiple times with soap, it feels a little tingly right now, so I'm about to go wash it again My arm was in his tank for quite some time (30 minutes) because he asked me to move things around so his water movement can possibly improve with no dead spots.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it won't hurt to wash your arm as much as you want, but my guess is that it's tingling from all the washing. :)

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Y0u will be fine, the amm0nia c0uld be 10% and it w0n't d0 much t0 y0u, maybe make y0u stink a bit.
    BTW, the driftw00d isn't g0ing t0 d0 a darn bit 0f g00d as a "media item", the BB live mostly in the filter media. A very tiny am0unt lives in the gravel 0r 0n 0ther items in the water column,it w0uld d0 ab0ut as much g00d as throwing a chair 0ff 0f the titanic t0 keep it fr0m sinking. s0 Take y0ur buddies advice, 0n that, with a grain 0f salt.
    Last edited by Longshot; 08-19-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!