· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first one Tiari - Strider199   It would take me many months to catch up to how many real bettas you have :) - PhillipOrigami   great job with that post - Jaster   Hope power is restored ASAP! - C-Dub   Because I was wrong, and you were right. Sorry. - bethyMT   

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, make sure they can't see each other, like, at all. You can do this by "walling" the divider on both sides with a thick row of plants.

A filter on each side may make for too turbulent a flow,but I see you are addressing that so good on you :)

Did you get a heater for this tank? I wasn't sure lol, the tank needs to be around 80 degrees constant.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Ms. Namazu   starting the round off - Hardy85   The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7   I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz   fishies - Hardy85   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad t0 hear that y0u are c0mpassi0nate en0ugh t0 make these lil fellers life better. The fins will heal up pretty quick. Just keep the water clean as menti0ned and it w0n't be l0ng until they are right as rain.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Awwww good job on saving these guys. I really like Mr. Purple in particular. You weren't looking to get betas but they may soon become your favorites. I've heard the personalities they have are awesome.
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first one Tiari - Strider199   It would take me many months to catch up to how many real bettas you have :) - PhillipOrigami   great job with that post - Jaster   Hope power is restored ASAP! - C-Dub   Because I was wrong, and you were right. Sorry. - bethyMT   

0 Not allowed!
    One thing to note, don't be too surprised if their colors change after a while. This is pretty normal, as Betta that are stressed change colors, and once calm, they change again. So, don't be alarmed if that happens to with them.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay so first let me answer some of the questions and statements
    1: No they cannot see eachother and they cannot jump over due to a home-made hood that is flush with the top of the divider.
    2: I used a 10 gallon for financial reasons.. around here ( San Antonio) I could find no 5 gallon tanks for under 15.00 a piece.. I tried LFS's and the big chains with no luck. The 10 gallon was only 13.00 and minus the ability for water movement between the two sides it is pretty close to having two 5 gallons sitting side by side with a black film separating.
    3: yes I have a heater but I don;t really need it right now.. water stays at about 78-79 right now ( summer temps avg about 100F)

So I have made a few changes to the tank, first I used the Plastic bottle diffuser idea and it works great If you are looking dead on you cannot even tell that anything is being used at all ( invisible) I also added some Marineland Premium Carbon Ammonia Neutralizing Blend in a filter bag and placed it in the hub of the bottle diffuser on each side. Figured anything I can do to lessen or avoid spikes is a good idea ( let me know if I am wrong please). I also put in a bubble wand with blue and white lights ( 6"). This was mainly for a light source .. problem is my theory is it would travel through the divider and act as a light source for both sides, even though I have it placed horizontal and flush against the divider very little light is travelling across. I guess I will to get a second one. I do have a concern though.. it seems to be creating quite a display of surface bubbles and I am wondering if this is going to have a negative effect on the betta. I have read that when they are unable to make a bubble nest that it really gets them stressed. Is this true? If so shoudl I take it out or remove the pump? It is a 10 gallon pump and I am going to eventually use it for both sides so it may lessen the flow overall .. I am going to try and clamp the tubing slightly and see if that works. new bubbles.jpg
    Also in answer to another question yes those are not Silk plants but I am in process of removing and replacing with something safer. Luckily tey do not spend an much time in the plants.. they seem to prefer the rocks.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well it's water change time, doing a 50 percent water change as I had the water tested and levels were pretty high. Removed the plastic plants minus the ones blocking the holes in the divider. They do not seem to care about each other anymore, I don't see as much as a glance in the general direction of the divider so i am pleased with that. I finally saw Mr. purple resting on his beta hammock today. Still no more bubble nests but they seem to be very comfortable and stress free. Water current levels are very limited and virtually non existent as far as Mr. Pink and Mr. Purple are concerned. So far very satisfied with the work done.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So I did a 50% water change and reorganized some of the stone, removed some of the plastic plants, and now I am going to introduce a few cherry shrimp to see how the Beta's react to them. They are making bubble nests like crazy now .. at first it looked like a large half moon slick and I thought that some how something spilled in.. got pretty paranoid but it was not too long before I realized what it was. Mr. Purple and Mr. Pink seem to be settling in very well and I would say they really like the new digs lol. New location new decor 2.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctallant View Post
    So I did a 50% water change and reorganized some of the stone, removed some of the plastic plants, and now I am going to introduce a few cherry shrimp to see how the Beta's react to them. They are making bubble nests like crazy now .. at first it looked like a large half moon slick and I thought that some how something spilled in.. got pretty paranoid but it was not too long before I realized what it was. Mr. Purple and Mr. Pink seem to be settling in very well and I would say they really like the new digs lol. New location new decor 2.jpg
    Tank looks nice. Good job saving these boys!
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, was not sure how I would like them but they seem to be growing on me, I introduced the cherry shrimp.. only about 1/2 long right now.. I put two on each side. Mr. purple and Mr. Pink are currently not very happy about it but quickly forget when the shrimp jet away. Perfect thing is.. as you can see I have a multitude of red sandstone.. the cherries just hide in a crevice or literally jump to the side of one of the rocks and the Beta's get this " Hih .. where did ya go George" kinda stance and just wander off.. talk about perfect camo!! It's pretty cool how the shrimp picked up on it instantly .. little suckers are supersonic too.. I am going to bet that eventually Mr. Pink and Mr. Purple are gonna get tired of chasing and losing that they will just give in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice job on this rescue. Also glad to see you removed the piece of background from the bottom front. That was a little distracting.