· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    And I have to admit, I don't have a good tomato sauce from scratch. I haven't had much luck with gardening the past couple of years, and the tomatoes at the store aren't that great. For pasta, I have a favorite brand of jarred marinara (which I haven't eaten much of since my parents moved out, despite having it at least once a week when I lived with them... odd lol). And then I have plenty of recipes I add canned tomato sauce to, like the tacos above, or chili, or whatever.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Chili
    1lb ground beef
    2 cups of beef stock
    1 can fire roasted tomatoes
    2-3oz tomato paste
    1 can kidney beans
    ~1/4 cup fresh cilantro
    3-4 cloves crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin
    2-2.5 tbsp cajun spice
    1 tsp oregano
    few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
    few dashes of tobassco
    1 chopped onion
    1 small green bell pepper
    1/2 of a yellow bell pepper
    2 jalapenos or 1 habanaro
    salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef with onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Toss in other ingredients and simmer for around an hour. Probably one of the best chili recipes I have concocted...yet again I dont measure anything so you may need to make some adjustments.

Brownies
    2 cups chocolate chips...I use ghirardelli semi sweet
    1 stick butter
    1 1/4 cup self rising flour
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    splash of Disaronno

Melt butter and chocolate chips on low heat until completely melted and smooth. Combine other ingredients in large mixing bowl. Temper with warm chocolate mixture to avoid scrambling the eggs. Bake on 325*F until desired doneness. I use a 10" square pan so mine are fairly thick...I usually wind up baking around 40 minutes or so.

I really like to cook and make tons of things, sadly most of my meals are easy and simply involve the use of a crazy amount of spices. Just take basic foods you know how to make and put your spin on it.

For the SO and I it is spice...we love everything that has a kick. I am sure I go through more cajun spice, red pepper flakes, and crushed black pepper than any normal human. We do not like seafood...so it is a toss up each week between primarily steak and chicken with the occasional pork or ground beef. I also tend to keep a desert made so that we avoid processed sweets which are just terrible. However when it comes to favorites the top two are the most requested for when we have guests...
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I love spices too! Most of my spice mixes tend to lean heavily towards a more mexican flavor palette. I have a bunch of different chile powders (and chili powder, but my favorite brand was discontinued around 2008 or 2009, so I need to come up with a recipe to replace it...), and I also tend to use a bunch of cumin, onion, and garlic.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    This has been a hit in my family ever since the kids were on solids and maybe before then. It's a simplified version of the classic. It feeds a family of 4 here but if the portions I was served in Texas restaurants are any indication it's for 2 people for you guys. Anyway, it freezes well. This works best in a wide pan

Start with 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter. Brown 125gr of ground beef until it's really brown and starts to release a nutty aroma. Mere greyish isn't good enough! Now add a stick of finely chopped celery and 3/4 cup of finely chopped carrot and 3/4 finely chopped onion. Stir, add some pepper (NO SALT!) and 1tbsp of dried parsley. Give the onions a chance to cook, say 3-4 minutes and while they do make a pint of stock from a cube. Halfway trough the onion cooking add your garlic, for me 2 small cloves finely chopped is about enough. Once the onions are glazed and slightly brown add about half the stock. Stir a bit making sure to scrape away whatever's on the bottom of the pan and then let it bubble away merrily until the stock has evaporated. Repeat. (if you're a wine drinker and you happen to have some white open add a glass of white with the first half of the stock).
    Now it depends on what you can get tomato wise. Over here fresh tomatoes look great but don't taste that good so I use canned. I use about a tbsp of tomato paste and 500 grams of tomato puree but you can also do this with crushed or even diced tomatoes from a can. If you can get any kind of organic no salt added canned tomato so much the better. If you want to use fresh tomatoes look for a very ripe plum tomato.

Add your tomatoes, stirr, add a pinch more of dried parsley, few leafs of fresh basil or a small pinch of dried. Taste and add salt if needed. Let it simmer over a very low heat while you cook your pasta. If I got the time I make this a few hours before and let it simmer with the lid on for half an hour to an hour only occasionally stirring. After that I just turn the heat of and let it sit there until it's time to cook the pasta and I just heat it up. Seems to improve the flavour.

Now... if you're interested. How about split pea soup? Great for when it's winter.

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I do like split pea soup. I should learn to make my own...good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Now I'm getting curious rue.

I actually like the concept of the big lunch and the light dinner. My parents kept that up on Sundays at least (not doable during the week) - and I miss it. But it's not really something I can do with my crew (I actually tried about a month ago...it was not well received...lol).

I like the small portions. I also like that going out and eating a wee bit is part of the life-style...vs. thinking every eating out event has to be a huge calorie-laden feast...

European baking is so much better...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My wife makes this BBQ Pulled Pork in the crock pot at least twice a month. VERY simple, delicious and it melts in your mouth.

INGREDIENTS:
    1. 1 Frozen Pork Tenderloin
    2. 2 tsp. McCormick Pork Rub
    3. 2 cups BBQ Sauce
    4. 1 tsp. Honey
    5. 2 cups of Rootbeer

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Put crock-pot liner in
    2. Rub down tenderloin with pork rub evenly
    3. Add 2 cups of rootbeer
    4. Cook 5 hours on high (turning every 2 hours) then 1 hour on low
    5. Drain liquid leaving 1/2 cup
    6. Shred pork (I used a blender pulsating just a couple of times to make it faster)
    7. Add pork back in crock-pot with BBQ sauce and honey.
    8. Let it warm for 30 mins so that BBQ sauce soaks in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When we have family in town or friends over in the morning, we usually make these things called "Donkey Balls". Makes quite a bit so everyone gets full. We do the whole bacon and eggs thing to go with it of course.

INGREDIENTS:
    1. 2 pkgs of crescent rolls (preferably butter flake)
    2. 1 16 oz. pkg of Philadelphia cream cheese softened (can use the 1/3 fat one, but never fat free)
    3. 1 Jimmy Dean sausage roll (standard size)

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Take the sausage and cook in pan until browned and lightly crisp. Drain fat.
    2. While sausage is cooking, unwrap cream cheese and place in mixing bowl then mix generously with sausage. Can add diced onions or seasoning for extra flavor, but this recipe is good enough to stand without additional ingredients.
    3. Take crescent rolls and lay flat out taking each individual triangle and cutting them in half (if not careful you may need to knead triangle into small circles for best effect.
    4. Take a teaspoon of the mixture and spoon a little at a time into each crescent roll then wrap mixture up into little ball making sure that mixture is sealed inside (you do not have to keep it completely covered but it creates less mess eating it that way)
    5. Place balls individually on each 2 cookie sheets then bake at 350 for approx 8-10 minutes. If you have a particularly fast oven bake at 8 min taking care not to burn bottoms.
    6. Cool for about 2-3 minutes and enjoy. With 2 pkgs of crescent rolls should make about 48 balls or roughly enough for 8-10 people.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    talldutchie--That does sound tasty! :D And post away!

dcnorman07--Those look like great recipes! :)

Rue--There's definitely a huge difference in the way we think about food. I don't think I could do the 'big lunch, small dinner' thing myself. About the only time we do anything like that is for holiday meals. We would have a big Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner at around 2 or 3, and then snack later at home if we got hungry again. (Of course we would tend to overeat at those meals... I'm trying to get better about that!)
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post

I actually like the concept of the big lunch and the light dinner. My parents kept that up on Sundays at least (not doable during the week) - and I miss it. But it's not really something I can do with my crew (I actually tried about a month ago...it was not well received...lol).

I like the small portions. I also like that going out and eating a wee bit is part of the life-style...vs. thinking every eating out event has to be a huge calorie-laden feast...
    Big lunch and light dinner isn't everywhere, certainly not here in the North of Europe. Wouldn't know about baking in the States, haven't seen much besides pretty average danish and donuts.

0 Not allowed!
    There's probably as many varieties of split pea soup as there are of Chilli. It's originally peasant food. This is a simple and quick version.

Get about 2.5 litres of stock and add to that 450 grams of split peas. Bring to a low boil and let these cook in about an hour. Run this trough a blender or something to liquidize it. I used one of these http://www.kookwinkel.nl/upload/webs...20gedraaid.jpg before I got an immersion blender.

Now add 3 good handfuls of diced celeriac, some finely chopped greens from it if yours came with the green still on. A tbsp of dried parsely, some ground black pepper. 2 diced potatoes, some diced carrots. About half a leek. A handful of diced smoked bacon. Let this simmer for about half an hour. Then see if you can get a good smoked sausage like this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hillshire-...42-oz/19276113 and slice one and put it in as well. After another 15 minutes or so it's done.

A saying is that it's a good soup if your spoon stands up in it. It's served with black rye bread with butter and bacon on it. As soon as the temperature drops below freezing the whole country gets in the mood for this and you see it on sale in the supermarkets and every place that does lunch will have it on the menu. There's even dedicated cookery contests to see who makes the best soup.