· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How to prepare root for aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hi.

I recently bought a large root of some kind to put in my aquarium. It has been soaking in a small tub for a little more than a day.

How do you prepare your wood for the aquarium? And it seems it will float, but if I keep it underwater with a rock for some time, will it eventually stay down?

- Norway
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Roots like this need to become waterlogged before they will stay down by themselves. You can speed the process up by boiling the wood in a large pan on the stove - however, if your root is too large you won't be able to do this as it won't fit.

The easist thing to do it just position it in the tank how you want it and put a big rock on it to keep it down. It may take from a few weeks to a couple of months to fully waterlog - each piece is different.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Firefly. It just takes a while to get it water logged.
    Be prepared for it to leech some tanins into the water. This is not harmful but will give your water a bit of a gold tint. Over time, that will stop.
    Very nice piece BTW. good find.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above advice

I have also moved your thread to the correct section of the forum
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Large piece of driftwood! You mentioned you soaked it for a day and it still floats, sometimes it can take weeks or even months to finally sink. If you do weigh it down my using rocks and stuff, need to be careful in case the rocks shift and the piece of wood floats back to the top. If you don't mind waiting, find a larger plastic bin and put the wood in it, add some heavy stuff on top to weigh it down and forget about the bin for a few weeks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

I'll try to find a way to keep it down until it is waterlogged.
    Seems like it will look quite nice in the tank :)

Do I need to scrub or clean in any further before I put it in?

0 Not allowed!
    If you're pre-soaking it, and it was newly purchased, I probably wouldn't bother scrubbing it too much.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't want to wait, you can also get a piece of slate, drill into it, and use a stainless steel screw to attach the wood to the slate. You bury the slate under your substrate to hide it, and it will keep the wood submerged and in place.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    Large piece of driftwood! ..... If you do weigh it down my using rocks and stuff, need to be careful in case the rocks shift and the piece of wood floats back to the top..
    +1 A g00d size chunk can wipe 0ut a c0ver if she c0mes up quick.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if I attach a rock (or some rocks) to the wood with some fishing line? Then I can remove the rocks quite easily after a couple of months.