· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Fancy giving cichlids a go, wold this work for a JD?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

Quick question for the cichlid fans: I'm not a total beginner to fish and have kept goldfish, 3 different tropical communities, and even a marine tank for a short time. Have never given cichlids a go but been thinking of it recently and even more so now that I'm able to get a young Electric Blue Jack Dempsey for a good price. He/she is around 8cm long (definitely past the 3" mark, am I right in thinking that this is when they tend to die easily?) and eating well. I've only got a 2ft tank free at the minute but would either upgrade or move him to a friend's large cichlid tank once he's outgrown it.

My question is this: is a 2ft tank ok for keeping a JD this size for now? How quickly do they grow/how soon would I need to upgrade? Is it ok to keep one, maybe with a few dither fish? Would a pair ofelectric yellows be more suitable to these circumstances?

Cheers,
    Eika

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't keep a JD in a 2 foot tank - even for a short time. It will outgrow it within a couple of months. Start as you mean to go on and only stock what fits the tank you have now.

By electric yellows - do you mean mbuna? I wouldn't, they will kill each other and they grow too large anyway. Mbunas should really only be kept in fairly densly stocked, very large tanks (four feet absolute minimum) with plenty of rockwork.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Before purchasing any fish, you need to research the type of tank it needs now, not later - at full size.

If all you can afford or have space for is a 2ft tank, then you buy fish to fit that tank at their full size.

Never a good idea to put a fish into a tank with the plan to move it later to a more appropriate tank - what if that new tank never gets obtained - then you're stuck with a fish in too small of tank which is a problem. Good thing you posted here 1st!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to chime in with a different school of thought here - only because of my own experience with my Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. - a fish that is very different from a Jack Dempsey.

I purchased one exactly 1 year ago - he was only around 1 1/2 inches. I placed him in a 90 gallon tank with some blood parrots and a sev - all babies. After a month I could see the little guy was not aggressive enough to compete for food so I moved him to my 30 gal tetra tank. He thrived in that tank and finally began to eat. I left him there for at least six months - until he grew past the 3 inch mark before I moved him back into the 90.

This is one fish, because of their delicate intestinal system, that I would encourage keeping in a smaller tank for a while so you can monitor his behavior.
    At the one year mark, my EBJD is just over 4 inches. As I said, they are very slow growers and even at this size I'm still monitoring him very carefully. Generally if you can get them up to 4 inches, they will be past the physical issues that usually do them in.
    So again, as long as you don't plan to keep him there for more than a few months, I'd go for it.

Were this not an EBJD, I'd agree 100% with Firefly and Imma as they are always spot on with their advice.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-18-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    imma and firefly

Thanks for such quick responses.

Imma and Firefly, I appreciate that the upgrade will definitely be needed and fairly soon, however this will definitely not be a problem as even in the unlikely case of me not being able to get a bigger tank, I can always bring him to the shop where I work and put him in one of the big cichlid tanks (there are a few, so he could probably have one all to himself if needed).

FishieMomma, thank you also for the advice and message, like I said it'll probably be a month or so before I can actually set up his tank but I think I'll go for it :)

Does anybody have advice towards general care? As mentioned, I haven't kept cichlids before so thinking a dark gravel, lots of driftwood and low lighting? Temp 26C, pH 7.5-ish, is this all ok? What kind of foods would you recommend? I work in a fairly good pet shop and will soon be promoted to head of fish in the next week or so, so I feel that brushing up on my cichlid care knowledge is going to come in very handy haha :D

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ph sounds good as that's what mine runs. I keep mine at 78F and he does well.
    as for food. With EBJD you need to feed what ever they will eat for a while as they are very touchy. My guy would eat nothing but algae wafers and small bottom feeder discs for a while. the discs are still his favorite treat. Now he eats anything - flake food, frozen brine shrimp and blood worms are his favorite. He also eats cichlid pellets. You may have to experiment with him and he may go in streaks where he won't eat anything but one kind of food. Oh - he also liked skinned frozen peas which I fed once a week until he got about 4 inches to help with the delicate digestive system of his.

Good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again, I actually got promoted today to head of Aquatics at work so I'm looking after him anyway now, no need to actually buy him haha :D He's in with a small pictus and baby oscars and is holding his own, but does seem a bit nervous at feeding time (I don't blame him, those oscars are fierce!) so I'll move him into a tank of his own to make sure he gets enough. Thanks for the feeding advice, we've got frozen peas at work for the goldfish so I can bring that into his weekly menu :)

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the promotion!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. Congrats son the promo!
    And watch him with those oscars. Smaller EBJDs are not very aggressive when it comes to food. He may get muscled out. Once he gets some more growth on him, he'll be able to hold his own and will :o)

BTW - I consulted with a guy who breeds and raises EBJDs exclusively - he's the one who advised me to temporarily move mine into a smaller tank with less aggressive fish to allow him the chance to eat without competition until he got used to the idea of competing. It worked :o)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! It's a bit scary being responsible for so many fish but very exciting :)

So I went in today with the plan of settling him into his new tank, only to be told by the stock guy that he was found dead at 7am :'( I'm gutted! At least now when we order a new one in I can be prepared from the start and give him/her the best chances possible. They are such a stunning fish.

I'll probably be asking lots of questions on this site in the coming weeks, because like I said I really don't know much about cichlids so need to learn as much as possible - sorry in advance for all the pestering!

Thank you all for the great advice, I'll without a doubt need it when we get more in.

Eika