· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siphoning Help

1. Default Siphoning Help

0 Not allowed!
    At the risk of sounding like a doofus and this being a DUH question, I need some help. I've always been a proud member of the bucket brigade when doing water changes but recently I've just grown tired of the many trips it takes with a one gallon pitcher and have upgraded my gravel vacuum to a fairly large gravel siphon with a much longer hose. Now here is the rub: I can successfully vacuum the gravel out and just put the hose outside the front door in order for the water to run off into the grass. That so far has been no issue. The issue is when I try to add water to the tank. The tank is located in the living room which places it just barely within reach of the kitchen sink. I have an old faucet head and the adapter piece simply won't work on it. Instead of that, I thought I'd just fill the sink up with the water I needed and reverse siphon it into the tank. I cannot for the life of me get the suction started from the sink to the tank. It just won't work. As I said, this may be a very obvious and silly question, especially for someone that isn't new to the world of tank maintenance, but I'm asking anyway because I can't seem to figure it out.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Is your kitchen sink at the same height or lower than the tank? Water wants to travel to the lowest point. If you have two containers with a water-filled tube between them, the water will move from the container with the higher water level to the one with the lower.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    For a reverse siphon to work, the sink needs to be higher than tank.

Can you get a longer hose and use some other faucet? Bathroom, laundry tub...you should be able to change out the fitting on the kitchen faucet to one that will take the adaptor...

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    Can you get a longer hose and use some other faucet? Bathroom, laundry tub...you should be able to change out the fitting on the kitchen faucet to one that will take the adaptor...
    This would be my suggestion too. Take your water changer head to your local hardware store and see if they have something that will work with it on one of your faucets. Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    If all else fails y0u can fill the sink, dechl0rinate the water and buy a cheap f0untain pump t0 h00k the h0se t0 and pump it int0 the tank.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to sheamurai, that's what I did and I got a nice adaptor that I have had no problems with. Also, my sink is slightly below my tank (we are talking only a few inches though) but the reverse syphon still works for me. Good luck! Kepp us informed :)
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cheap fountain pump I think will take a long time as I don't think it will very powerful. Taking vacuum to hardware store and see what they can rig up for you is what I did.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of good solutions to the op's problem. In the meantime, though, while the op has time to get added gear or adapters, a temporary, completely low-tech solution is to place a bucket on top of the counter next to the kitchen sink, and fill THAT with dechlor water instead of filling the sink itself. Since the bucket sits on top of the counter, the top of the bucket will be higher than the sink by a foot or more, and perhaps this change in height is enough to get the siphon to work.

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, if I'm filling a bucket with water anyway, I'd rather just walk it over and dump it in than wait for a siphon to empty it. That being said, the bucket on the counter would be much less straining on the back. I have heard of others making their own pythons using a waterbed draining kit.
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterbed-FILL-...rbed+drain+kit

Then you just fit your hose to that, hook it to the sink and the pressure of the faucet will push the water up the hose and into the tank. These are designed to work with an actual garden hose though, so you still may have to buy additional fittings at the hardware store. It just has the convenience of the T-shape and the valve at the sink that you can use to change the flow of the water in or out of the tank.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijankrom View Post
    Cheap fountain pump I think will take a long time as I don't think it will very powerful. Taking vacuum to hardware store and see what they can rig up for you is what I did.
    Agreed, but as stated- if all else fails, l0l.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!