· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default German Ram Pairing Help

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 german rams, 2 male 2 female. They haven't paired up yet though and I'm a little lost on what to do. Sometimes the males chase the females, other times they hangout as a group, other times they split into two m/f pairs. I've had them for 2 months, the males have grown tremendously and are about 1.5-2 inch, the females have grown a little and are about 1.5 inch. My thought was they are too young to breed yet, despite showing some vibrant colors, what do you guys think?

0 Not allowed!
    I think you're asking for trouble. How big is your tank? The GBRs are nearing maturity and when they reach it, watch out. They'll become much more aggressive with the females and each other. They may or may not choose a mate, but having two males in your tank is going to stress things out quite a bit. If anything, there should be one male and 2 female, so there's a better chance at pairing. They're going to become very territorial.

I would take one of the males back.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    29 gallon, it is heavily planted. Having two males will increase chances of them pairing, the competition will force the best two together i thought.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have much experience but I agree with Kevin with 1 male to 2 female. I have to say though that I don't think a 29 is big enough for more then one GBR unless its paired.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can anyone explain the theory behind 1m/2f instead of 2/2? , and I'm trying to achieve a pair not keep them in there... I have a cycled breeding tank ready for the pair that comes out.

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding about the 1m/2f rule is 2 fold. One is that, the males will chase and harass the females. If there is only one male, that means at least one female is always getting a break. Ideally this would keep the male from absolutely harassing one of them to death by giving him 2 targets.

Also it eliminates the possibility of aggression between the two males.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see any over due stress , plenty of hiding places, the males sometimes do a kind of stand -off thing but nothing serious, could this stocking ratio be really what's slowing the pairing process? You guys don't think age?

0 Not allowed!
    When they become mature, they'll begin courting and become much more territorial. You might not see aggression while you're watching them, but it'll probably be happening.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so you want me to remove one male, and that will make them pair...

0 Not allowed!
    There's never a guarantee that they'll pair. You'll have a better survival shot, if you remove one of the males. Then, there will be two females for the one male to choose from and mate with. If a pairing does occur, you'll want to remove the unpaired female.