· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    That supplier didn't have Black Diamond brand, but they told me they did have 20/40 grit black coal slag blasting sand that is the same thing. I went down there and bought a 90 lb bag for $10.

Coal slag and sand are very different substances. Coal is where petr0chemicals c0me fr0m, y0u might as well have dumped a quart 0f engine 0il in y0ur tank! I am happy t0 read that y0u didn't fire up the filter, what a nightmare that c0uld have been. G00d t0 see that y0u are 0n the right track n0w.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Coal slag and sand are very different substances. Coal is where petr0chemicals c0me fr0m, y0u might as well have dumped a quart 0f engine 0il in y0ur tank! I am happy t0 read that y0u didn't fire up the filter, what a nightmare that c0uld have been. G00d t0 see that y0u are 0n the right track n0w.
    That isn't actually true. Yes coal is full of chemical properties. That's how we harvest energy from it through the chemical reaction of combustion. Like most chemical reactions that yields a different product. Coal slag is the highly refined glassy product left over from the reaction of burning those petrochemicals.
    I don't mean to suggest that coal slag and sand are the same thing, but we call it "blasting sand" because it has a sand-like consistency. In all reality coal slag is a very low silicate, extremely dense, glassy product. Black diamond, black beauty, black abrasion sand are all coal slag and all have been used by many successfully as aquarium substrates. I don't think that would be the case if it was akin to dumping engine oil in your tank, although whatever I got clearly was not the same as the aforementioned products.

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    A big school of Rummy nose would make that tank as would Lemon tetras. The Lemon tetras might actualy contrast better with the Roselines because of the different shape and their "lemon" color would realy show in the way your going to do your tank.

I like Black phantoms but for an alternative suggestion; how about Rosy tetras?

Just a few suggestions for you.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Wow this is crazy. Water tests tonight:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 80 ppm

I really thought it would take at least two weeks to complete the fishless cycle. Here's a situation I didn't think I'd be in. The tank is cycled and ready for fish, but the driftwood and plants are in the mail. Looks like I'll need to keeping dosing ammonia to keep it cycled until everything arrives a little later in the week. I don't want to put the cart before the horse by dumping fish into an empty tank.

On another note I went to the best lfs in the area today and saw rummynose tetras in person for the first time. That sealed the deal on those, I'm definitely stocking them.

That means 8 roselines, 10 - 12 dwarf chain loaches and 15 rummynose tetras.
    Now to decide what else would compliment that. I like the rosy tetras Steeler, I don't think I have seen those in person before. I like the idea of lemon tetras because I think they would pop against the background with all the black. The roselines have the yellow accents on their tails so they might compliment each other well too, but there are just so many awesome choices. I am going to steer clear of neons and cardinals though.

What do you guys think about bottom dwellers? Chain loaches only? Or loaches and panda cories both?

Since I did a fishless cycle I could technically add the whole school of roselines and rummynoses at once without having to be too concerned about an ammonia spike correct?

That would get some good activity in the tank. Then I could give it some time for plants to grow out and tank to mature, then start quarantining and adding more sensitive fish in a couple weeks/months.

Tips and advice welcome!
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Wow this is crazy. Water tests tonight:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 80 ppm
    Wow! That was fast. congratas!

I really thought it would take at least two weeks to complete the fishless cycle. Here's a situation I didn't think I'd be in. The tank is cycled and ready for fish, but the driftwood and plants are in the mail. Looks like I'll need to keeping dosing ammonia to keep it cycled until everything arrives a little later in the week. I don't want to put the cart before the horse by dumping fish into an empty tank.
    I don't think it would hurt to put the fish in unless you don't want to work around them later. QTs are generally bare of all decor so if you think of it that way, you'd be okay.

On another note I went to the best lfs in the area today and saw rummynose tetras in person for the first time. That sealed the deal on those, I'm definitely stocking them.
    Cool. I'll be eager to see them.

That means 8 roselines, 10 - 12 dwarf chain loaches and 15 rummynose tetras.
    Now to decide what else would compliment that. I like the rosy tetras Steeler, I don't think I have seen those in person before. I like the idea of lemon tetras because I think they would pop against the background with all the black. The roselines have the yellow accents on their tails so they might compliment each other well too, but there are just so many awesome choices. I am going to steer clear of neons and cardinals though.
    I think the roselines and the rummys are going to look particularly good together! You've got a lot of great choices. Have you ever thought about adding a centerpiece fish? A large gourami? A single angle? Just some thoughts.

What do you guys think about bottom dwellers? Chain loaches only? Or loaches and panda cories both?
    I'd get the cories too and a bristle nose pleco to help you with algae. Pluse BNP's are great fish and only get around 4 inches max.

Since I did a fishless cycle I could technically add the whole school of roselines and rummynoses at once without having to be too concerned about an ammonia spike correct?
    Absolutely!

That would get some good activity in the tank. Then I could give it some time for plants to grow out and tank to mature, then start quarantining and adding more sensitive fish in a couple weeks/months.
    You've got it all figured out!

Tips and advice welcome!
    \
    Can't wait to see this tank!!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, when I started cycling with Eco Complete as the substrate, I got a huge boost to my cycle. :) Just keep dosing the ammonia until you have a live animal source in there. And part of the point of a fishless cycle is that you can stock your tank completely at once, rather than gradually the way a fish-in cycle requires.

And unfortunately, I don't have any stocking advice for you.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I read on the side of the Eco Complete bag where it said that it had good bacteria to help with cycling, but I thought it was probably a gimmick like many other things like that are.

I would love to stock the whole tank at once, but I my wallet probably wouldn't like it :P

I was also under the impression that, even with a fishless cycle, it is best to stock the bottom dwellers after the tank has matured more, any thoughts on that?
    ~Manna

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Rummy nose are a great choice, they will show up well in the way your doing your tank, every tank I've done for the last eight years have always included RN's. I remember in the past when begginers called them "crummy nose's" because they didn't take the time to properly cycle their tanks and lost most of their stock because of that and also not acclimating them right. Fiveteen would be a good number but 20 would realy look great.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    \
    I don't think it would hurt to put the fish in unless you don't want to work around them later. QTs are generally bare of all decor so if you think of it that way, you'd be okay.
    Oops missed that post somehow.
    Yeah it's more that I don't want to work around them. Adding in the larger driftwood I ordered and trying to plant the whole tank with the fish swimming about sounds like it's making a hard task harder. I'm trying so hard to be patient. :) Plus, if I end up getting the fish shipped from Wet Spot (which I may do since the local LFS was out of roselines) I don't want to be stressing the fish out by working in the tank for hours on end only a couple days after they've gone through the stress of being shipped.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    A breath of fresh air today. I have been scouting all the lfs in my area for roselines and rummynose tetras. None of them had roselines nor were they willing to order them in because of their higher price tags (even if i put down a deposit). There is not a great selection of stores, but I found a new one today.

Instantly when I walked inside I was a little put off by how dirty the store was. The windows were so dirty you couldn't see out of the storefront and the floor was grimy.

That changed really quickly when I looked at their tanks. They were all gorgeous and crystal clear. The fish were vibrantly colored and all looked very healthy. I didn't see a dead or sickly looking fish the whole time I was there.

I was also immediately greeted at the door by an employee asking what fish I was looking for. When I told her I wanted to see if they could order me in 8 roselines and 20 rummynose she assured me that they could get whatever I would need and then asked if I knew about he nitrogen cycle and if I needed any assistance with cycling the tank before I bought fish to put in it.

I was like "okay ill buy from you."
    ~Manna