· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Default

1 Not allowed!
    So sorry to read about your losses. We have 2 cats and 1 dog and have never been without a house pet or 2. So I know what you're going through. It's tough.
    In the meantime, I hope you get your algae issues under control.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Guess what guys? I didn't die. Almost but not quite. I got pregnant. Yay! because we wanted another, but scary because I have a very serious condition called hyperemesis gravidarum which basically, in a nutshell, means that my whole body tries to shut down in response to the pregnancy.

I am in my 11th week now. I have been bedridden on feeding tubes and iv fluids for the last 2 months. I'm down 30 lbs and my liver has tried to shut down on me, so I've been in and out of the hospital for periodic stays as well. The good news is that while this is really hard on my body, baby is healthy.

I literally often lack the energy to even watch tv which means my precious 90 gallon baby is a complete mess. I tore down the ten gallon when I got the positive pregnancy test and put the neons in the 90 to make one less complication.

I've taught husband (yes the one with a deathly fear of fish) to do weekly water changes and feed. The tank looks so scary. I didn't get the algae problem under control before this happened and it has taken over everything. It's on every surface, plant, leaf, etc.

The fish are growing and they swim around energetically so they seem to be tolerating it okay, but it's painful to look at. I hate to see that they are not being cared for properly, like really really monitored like they should be. Last month hubby did a water change and felt terrible when 2 of my Roselines and my GBR died shortly after. That really destroyed his confidence with the whole thing. I walked him through every mistake he could have made and it sounded like he did it all right. All I can imagine is that the fish aren't in tip top shape and it was stress related, or perhaps something more subtle like a ph swing or something that hubby wouldn't catch onto.
    I can't fault him, he's been learning to be a single dad the last 2 months. He's cooking all the meals, doing all the laundry, handling all the finances and I'm currently not able to work so his stress level is pretty high.

I am hoping to regain my strength somewhere between 16 and 20 weeks if this pregnancy follows the same pattern as my last and I can't wait to rip that whole tank apart and give it a good scrub down.

I have been trying to keep up on your journals on the good days (when reading doesn't make me sick). Today I thought I'd check in with an update and let you guys know to watch for me in the next few months I'll be back.

Missing you! And missing this hobby : (
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Crunchy, I was just thinking about you, wondering where you have been!...Congrats on the pregnancy, but sorry it is taking such a toll on your health

Don't worry too much about the fish for now, you need to get better after you have the baby, first and foremost...and kudos to your husband for all he has done and tried to do!

We will all be here in full force when you are completely ready to come back...don't worry!

Sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery!

Matt
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    WOW!! Glad your alright, I thought maybe you just decided to leave the forum for awile when we had not seen anything from you in a long time.

Just glad your back!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the pregnancy - hope you're up and about very soon. It's so nice to hear from you. And kudos to your hubby for stepping in - Bravo!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Good to see you back. Congrats on the preganancy. Stay strong.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow.... congratulations on your pregnancy! I'll be hoping that you will feel better and stronger everyday. Your husband has really stepped up in so many ways, I remember you saying how afraid he was of fish. My husband isn't afraid of them but none the less isn't allowed within 3 feet of the tank unsupervised

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats, and I hope you will be feeling better soon
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. You've really had a reason not to be here.
    Congrats on the baby. I hope things start going better for you healthwise soon. And good for your hubby. He's really stepped up to the plate. Sorry about your fish losses but hopefully the rest will make it through.
    Let us know how things are going when you are up to it and have time.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Okay guys I'm finally ready to return to forum life.

Update on my health: I have gained 3 pounds! That's monumental for me considering that my overall loss for this pregnancy so far was about 40 pounds. I was just removed from feeding tubes and IVs this Monday and I'm able to eat again. Real food, three times a day!
    My liver took a beating the last few months and it is still really sick but I'm slowly regaining my strength and I'm getting to help take care of my 2 year old, work on some laundry and next week I even get to try driving!

My tank: outside of getting back to being the near full time caretaker of my daughter and hopefully getting back to work part time, my big priority is my fish tank. I've not had a chance to run tests to check ph and some of the other things yet, but I'm guessing I must have some old tank syndrome from how poorly it's been cared for. I have it penciled in my calendar for this Sunday and Monday to do an overhaul.

Here's my game plan:

Remove all fish from the tank and place them in my 20 gal long with the tank water that they are in right now. I can put a heater and cycled filter on that tank. I anticipate this taking me several hours since I'll have to take breaks and catch my breath, possibly a nap and so forth. I'm still running at half capacity.

After fish are removed I'm going to remove all plants and lay them out on a towel.

Remove driftwood and place it in the bathtub or shower for a really good scrub top to bottom to remove all algae.

I'm then going to completely empty the tank of water, giving the Eco complete a good vacuum while I'm at it. Scrub all of the algae off the sides of the glass and remove as much of it as I can from the tank. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's all you can see. It's covering the glass on all four sides and every inch of wood and plants.

I am going to take the filter apart and rinse it in tank water but I'm approaching that part gently. With my already sensitive fish and the amount of cleaning going on in the tank itself, I don't want to disturb the cycle. I can give it a deeper clean after the tank has been balanced for a couple weeks.

I will have to throw some of the plants away. I'll sort through them and see. This algae is very easy to wipe off of the plants so some of the more broad leafed plants may make a full recovery with a gentle cleaning. Some if the finer leafed things that have suffered too much may just have I go. I can also see some areas of healthy plant that i may be able to trim and grow into new plants as well.

After all of that is said and done I'll put the tank back together again and fill it up. I then plan to run a very slow drip acclimation into the twenty gallon so that the fish can gently get used to any differences in the parameters from the dirty tank to the new clean one. After I'm satisfied that they will be safe, and pending some good water parameter checks, I'll move them back and cross my fingers.

From there it's just a matter of replacing the plants and then making small adjustments to the light and nutrients until I find out what allowed the algae to get so out of control to begin with, because I was struggling with that just before my health crisis.

If anyone sees any flaws in my tank recovery plan or has advice on overhauling an algae infested tank, let me know!
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast