· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did a 30% water change and deep cleaning of much of the substrate. While I can't verify 100% that all of my fish are alive (tank heavily planted in the back and I appear to have not found 3 fish yet) I have not found any bodies. 1 cardinal, 1 bloodfin and 1 black neon unaccounted for. Snail and clown pleco still alive. Temperature runs 85-88 depending on which part of the tank I measure. Spots appear to be decreasing. I have not seen any on the bloodfins at all and only 1 orange flame seems affected. Several of the black neons and cardinals still show some spots, but only 1 of each is particularly bad. All fish are acting normally and remain very hungry. So far so good!

About how long until spots disappear? I'm 6 days into heat treatment. Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    I have had it take a full week before spots were gone, and sometimes I would see a couple after this. Just stay on course, you are doing things correctly in my view. Maintain the heat for another 5 days, then turn down the heater and let the tank slowly reduce temperature. Do not do anything to force a temp reduction, as this can "aid" ich because sudden temperature drops stress fish.

I say 5 days, but if you detect problems from the fish, like rapid breathing or hanging near the surface, reduce it sooner.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE: No dead fish, no signs of major stress, and NO WHITE SPOTS! I plan on doing another water change either tonight or tomorrow, then reducing the temperature gradually beginning tomorrow. I am pleasantly surprised and very happy the tank suffered no fish loss (the snail seems to be doing well too)!

Thanks all!

0 Not allowed!
    It's great to hear success.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]