· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Default Boring Aquairum... Ideas for decor and fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Aquarium.jpg

Hey, everyone :)

As my aquarium is currently undertaking a fishless cycle, I was considering what fish to eventually add to my aquarium. It has a 60 litre or 15 (US) gallon capacity. Plus the decor is pretty boring (as you can probably see from the image attached), does anyone have any suggestions for fish and decor. I wanted to keep things minimal as the tank is pretty small, and I wanted my potential fishies to have plenty of space to chill :p Also, is an air pump necessary, as I do have live plants attached to the driftwood, to oxygenate the tank?

Many Thanks x

0 Not allowed!
    Air pump isn't necessary but filter is. How about some plants to brighten up the tank. Maybe some really thin and branchy wood. Few catappa leaf and it's a different tank.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, Love the driftwood and attached plants that will really look great when it starts to fill in. If the heater is completely submersible you could mount it horizontally and hide it behind the driftwood if there's room. If not, maybe some jungle vals to hide the heater would look nice. I see the filter does not break the surface of the water like a "hang on the back" style so a small air pump with bubbler would be a good idea IMO.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like what you've done so far too and agree with the other suggestions. You could also add a background. black or blue usually show case your fish the best, will also help camouflage the heater and filter and will hide any cords running along the back of the tank. another thing that would be an instant change and add interest (as well as eat nitrates) would be to add some hornwort. you could either float it or tuck some stems under a couple rocks toward the back of the tank to add height.

As for fish, a nice school of harlequin rasboras would look great in a 15 gallon. Very colorful and very active, small fish, suitable for this size tank.
    be sure to post pics when you get things finished.
    and good for you for doing a fishless cycle!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, thanks so much for replying- I'll defo add a couple plants and hide that hideous heater LOL Yes the rasbora's do look pretty stunning, see if I can get my hands on some... I was thinking perhaps a school of neon tetra's as well :) Thanks for the ideas guys, just wondering weather it is possible to have bedded plants, as I don't have gravel, just aquarium sand? Also, i'll see if I can get my hands on an air pump :)

P.S As you can see the plants that iv'e attached on the driftwood have been tied up with string so they root onto it, but unfortunately the string keeps loosening and the plants don'y seems to want to attach.. Is it possible to super glue them on? Or is that not advised?
    Last edited by spacecowgirl; 08-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't look like your sand it very thick so it might be difficult to plant rooted plants but not impossible. you can use root tabs or feed flourish to the tank to help them grow. Hornwort does not need to be planted - just anchor it down with a rock or something and it will appear to be growing.
    another option would be potted plants but you'd have to decide if those would look appealing to you.

and yes, neons would look great in that tank. you could also have a betta and some cardinals together. in fact, I have neons with my crowntail betta and they get along great. some bettas, however, might be too boisterous for neons. another great centerpiece fish would be a paradise fish. one would look stunning in a 15 gal along with some cardinals. this would also be a great sized tank for a single dwarf gourami and some neons. you have lots of options.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Love the driftwood, although I'm not really a fan of rocks. However, in addition to the suggestions of some taller plants in back, I would try a couple of crypts in the front corners among the rocks. Maybe a crypt wendtii green and one bronze in each front corner. I also think you could use a little more sand - about 2-3" inches is best for planting.

0 Not allowed!
    You can superglue plants. This serup is too small to do neons and harlequins and way too bare to make harlequins at home. Both species would really enjoy tannins in the water so get a few leafs in tgere

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    You can superglue plants. This serup is too small to do neons and harlequins and way too bare to make harlequins at home. Both species would really enjoy tannins in the water so get a few leafs in tgere
    are you saying the set up is too small to do both neons and harleys (and I would agree with that) or are you saying it's too small to have either one?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh really? So either neons or harlequins are not suitable or my tank :( sad times lol