· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Spardas,

- If you PM me your email I could send you the xls file. But prices were changing here and there as I was filling it out (and it still isn't finished!). I haven't ordered anything yet except the Maracyn 2 because at the time Amazon had the lowest price and free shipping.

What I was trying to do was price everything on at least 3 sites (Amazon, DrsF&S and BigAls), then manually check various permutations in order to obtain the lowest total cost after accounting for the effects of shipping policies, coupon codes, etc.

I don't have a shopping sense like some people seem to do (like my mom seems to instinctively know whether something is a good deal or not) so I fall back on something I can understand logically... brute force mathematics.

Now Angelsplus seems to be quite a good site so I'll have to check that one too!

- Perhaps I'll call around later to see if anyone sells PP.

- Nitrates go up too fast. I do a massive water change every week to keep it under control. The previous tank was outside and algae was allowed to grow massively (aesthetics were NOT a concern), the 125 is inside and there's hardly any algae growth (aesthetics IS a concern). I want to add emersed plants, however that means introducing live organisms, one reason for assembling a war chest of meds.

I've also entertained the idea of adding something expensive-looking but right now such an action is just plain irresponsible.

- What do you and others do for keeping a fresh supply of bacteria colony on standby? I was coming up with a design involving a bucket and something like an IV drip but I'd like to see what's actually successful to base my design on.

- Read your article. Your medicine list is almost completely different from mine - any comments?
    Also, where to get started for microscope and related stuff?
    Last edited by BIO-Linist; 08-30-2013 at 10:49 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    BIO,

One good site to go look at is:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/

In the search, type in circular 716. You can look at the different PDF files which will show nice ID pics of the pathogens.

Here's a good introductory article on fish parasites:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa041
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the links.

I am sizing my purchases for a full course of treatment on the water volume of my largest tank.
    In the same way I would size the Backup Beneficial Bacteria Bucket (BBBB) for completely replacing the nitrifying capacity of the highest bioload tank twice.
    Ammonia drip rate in the bucket would be based on nitrate removed from tank due to weekly water changes (tested nitrate before and after water changes for several weeks).

For what's going on in my 125 check out the journal, skip to the most recent page(s):
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=42413

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fruits of Labor Day 2013... Manually tested 13 shipping combinations.

PM me your email if you want the xls files.

Is there an algorithm to do this automatically? When more stores are added, the amount of combinations blows up.
    These guys seem to have the same idea, but I don't understand most of what they're saying:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...tion-algorithm
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...minimal-prices

Some people can do this by gut feeling, but I think it's an eventuality that a computer program would be able to do this faster, better and cheaper.

Like how in the past human chess players were better but eventually a computer was developed that could beat the chess champion.

Total upfront cost was $298.01. Some time later I may compute the running costs (need expiration dates to do that).

Comments? What is your shopping method?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    - What do you and others do for keeping a fresh supply of bacteria colony on standby? I was coming up with a design involving a bucket and something like an IV drip but I'd like to see what's actually successful to base my design on.
    I might have missed the answer to my question in your thread, but do you mean a supply of bacteria for a QT tank filter ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Close enough. The idea is to constantly feed ammonia into a container full of bio media.
    I was thinking sponge filters at first, but air pumps make noise so now I'm thinking maybe ceramic media with a small submersible pump instead.
    But this isn't a priority right now, I have other stuff that needs to be done first.