· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    The only official medicine I have is PraziPro to de-worm new fish. I haven't needed any meds for my fish since I brought home a fully stocked 29g 5 years ago and that came with the ich medicine I needed. I have found the proper use of a QT tank for all new fish, fresh clean water on a weekly basis, and quality food is all the medicine my fish need.I also don't understand why people use PraziPro every six months. If the initial treatment was successful, where do the new worms come from to justify treating again twice a year?
    I agree 100%. The only med I have floating around here somewhere is 2/3 of a bottle of Melafix I used 5 years ago to treat finrot on a fish I purchased from Petsmart. That was the last fish I bought from there in fact.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

1 Not allowed!
    I believe most medications we use have a shelf life, especially once opened. I never buy medications unless I need them right then to treat something. I do wonder if the next time I may need it, having been opened, it might not work.

Quarantine all new fish for 5-6 weeks. Prevention is far better than trying to cure later.

The only real problem disease I seem to encounter these days (last 3 years) are internal protozoan. Most but not all of these will show up in QT within 6 weeks.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    The only real problem disease I seem to encounter these days (last 3 years) are internal protozoan.
    Byron, would you kindly tell us what you're doing to treat internal protozoans? I've heard of several methods including medicated food, heat, and metro. But what have you found most effective?

Thanks.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Byron, would you kindly tell us what you're doing to treat internal protozoans? I've heard of several methods including medicated food, heat, and metro. But what have you found most effective?

Thanks.
    Medicated food is the only thing that has worked for me, and three times. This was first suggested to me by a microbiologist with considerable knowledge of fish disease.

I use metronidazole. Seachem have this in its straight form (metronidazole) and I have successfully used Metro+ made by Aquarium Solutions. I place some of either in a zip-lock bag with some flake foods sufficient for a week or longer. Apparently the longer the products are together, the more metro is absorbed by the oils in the flake foods. I also do this with sinking foods. Some suggest using frozen foods like bloodworms.

The microbiologist told me that this was safe for my fish, being various characins, corys, whiptails, rasboras.

I believe one can buy this already made (with the metronidazole in the food), but I live in Canada and have not found it here anywhere. I'd be appreciative of any advice on the availability of this prepared food.

Byron.

2 Not allowed!
    I always use medicated flake food during QT along with other preliminary treatments during the 6 weeks.

Byron, I don't recall if Angelplus shipped to Canada, maybe you can find out. I used their medicated flake food.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

@ BIO, do be careful with PP.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    I always use medicated flake food during QT along with other preliminary treatments during the 6 weeks.

Byron, I don't recall if Angelplus shipped to Canada, maybe you can find out. I used their medicated flake food.

Thank you for this. I knew I had seen a site like this somewhere, and I'm sure this is it. I have emailed them about shipping to Canada. Thanks again. B.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Byron and Spardas. I knew about the medicated food from Anglesplus, but I did not realize you could simply add Metro+ to flake food and let it sit for a week or longer and then feed. That is very helpful.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Byron and Spardas. I knew about the medicated food from Anglesplus, but I did not realize you could simply add Metro+ to flake food and let it sit for a week or longer and then feed. That is very helpful.
    I begin using it right away; she suggested making up a larger batch because it is more lkely to get taken into the flake the longer they are in contact, but I wouldn't leave the fish dying for a week. In my case, fish were dying 3-5 every day. On about the 4 day of using this food preparation, dying ceased, and I was told to continue for 10 days. It worked.

BTW, I have already had a response from Angelspl;us, and they do ship to Canada, in case any of the other Canadian members wondered. I would prefer to get some of their pre-medicated food as I assume they probably have a more reliable method than mine.

Byron.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...aaand i fell asleep. Only ordered the maracyn 2 so far. Checked 3 sites so far.

LOL...please have mercy on your bank account.

With that said, that's a pretty comprehensive list. Pimafix is an anti-fungal, I believe. The combination of Pima and Mela give you an anti-bacterial and an anti-fungal unless you don't consider them effective. There's a couple of schools of thought on just how effective they are.
    Maracyn 2 was $66 *cash register sound*
    Probably going to get both the -fix's anyway (pond version).

Am I doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    I also don't understand why people use PraziPro every six months. If the initial treatment was successful, where do the new worms come from to justify treating again twice a year?
    I was wondering too. Where did this practice originate? Seems like a recipe to selectively breed praziquantel resistant parasites. If it doesn't kill them it'll just make em stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I believe most medications we use have a shelf life, especially once opened. I never buy medications unless I need them right then to treat something. I do wonder if the next time I may need it, having been opened, it might not work.

Quarantine all new fish for 5-6 weeks. Prevention is far better than trying to cure later.

The only real problem disease I seem to encounter these days (last 3 years) are internal protozoan. Most but not all of these will show up in QT within 6 weeks.

Byron.
    Storage plan: All double ziplock bagged, dry stuff going in freezer, liquids in refrig, unless they say not to.

Haven't added any new fish in >6 years. If this ever happens it will probably involve heavy plastic sheeting and negative pressure.
    Having read of diseases transferring from tank to tank just being in the same building, not going to take a chance.
    Have warned family members that if any livestock is introduced without proper, >=40 days quarantine it will be removed and destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post

Whats this? Another website to check!!

I found out potassium permanganate can't be shipped. (I am located in Hawaii)

As another preparedness measure, would a bucket full of sponge filters constantly fed with an ammonia drip be advisable?
    - Maintaining beneficial bacteria colonies outside of contact with fish to prevent contamination
    - Capability to rapidly reestablish biofilter after medication or other disturbance

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Bio,

It's a little blurry when I try to make your SS bigger. Are you ordering from the same place or from all over?

Did you try any local stores for PP? Your LFS, home improvement stores, etc. might have it....

You're not getting any new fishes? What about that 125 you're doing? What are you putting in it? Surely, you're thinking of adding some new livestock?

Yes, I do keep a fresh supply of bacteria colony on standby. But generally speaking, the whole point to the extensive QT period and treatments during QT is to ensure that the livestock stay healthy in the main tank. I wouldn't want to nuke a fully planted tank or a reef tank.

That's why I am extremely cautious with QT and make sure that it's done right the first time around.

Here's something I wrote on QT awhile back.......

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...534&highlight=
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.