· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Medicine chest stocking?

0 Not allowed!
    Some people say stuff tends to happen when stores are closed. Furthermore, stores may not stock the required item. And overnight shipping is excessively expensive.

Goal is to be reasonably well-prepared while minimizing total cost of ownership.

So...

What to stock in medicine chest?
    For each:
    - Quantity to maintain (per fish load and/or tank gallons)
    - Storage/inventory management method (Vis a vis expiration dates - how long does it last? Is it more cost effective to buy when needed?)
    - Price per (quantity per package AND price per package) and where to get the best deals

Thanks

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I always keep on hand:
    prazi-pro, metro+, pimafix, melafix, aquarium salt.

You can check out each product on line as the mfg will post the specific info you are requesting

Also - there may be other meds you'd want depending on what fish you have. discus, for instance may require more meds. salt water could have other requirements.

Keep in mind - most fungus issues can be cleared up with large, frequent water changes as clean water is the best cure for many problems.
    additionally, ich seems to be the most frequent problem - seems like every tank may have an outbreak at some point - and the best cure for ich is 86F temp for several days. Use medication as a last resort.

Quarantining you new stock for 4 - 6 weeks min before adding to your tank will also prevent many problems.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I have always kept ick medication and maracyn 2 on hand. Also PraziPro because my fish all get wormed twice a year. But the Ick medication and the Maracyn 2 has not been used in a few years. 10 years of keeping fish, I've only had Ick twice.

Healthy fish and you have no need for medications. I buy everything for my fish online and each one will give you the directions and how much is needed.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-17-2013 at 04:06 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    A problem always arises when things are going well and you have nothing on hand. Here's whats in my "fish medicine closet".

Aquarium Salt
    Maracyn
    Maracyn 2
    Anti fungal
    Seachem Kanaplex
    Seachem Para Guard

Maracyn and Maracyn 2 treat positive and negative bacteria respectively. Can be used in conjunction with each other when an illness has more than two components of infection. Kanaplex for -severe- ailments and regular antibiotic Maracyn fails. Aquarium salt + heat, best ich remedy there ever was. Para Guard for treatment in isolation tanks when illness is unknown, new fish, and a first round treatment for velvet as other options are decided. The general treatment for velvet is Coppersafe, however, it has risks and not everyone chooses to use this. It is up to the fish owner, but in general coppersafe will kill inverts, and, be impossible to remove once embedded in the tanks silicone.

On hand: Activated carbon packs, to remove said above medications.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for replying!

Now you don't have to do this but it would be super helpful if you can take a look at your med packages and post the:
    - Package size.
    - Expiration date (and when you bought it).
    - How many gallons the package treats (and how many doses you personally would use).

Lower priority but still would be super helpful:
    - How much the package cost (including shipping if applicable).
    - Where you bought it at.
    - Any special storage you personally use, if applicable (e.g. refrigeration).
    - Gallons of your biggest tank the medication is useful for (e.g. for freshwater-only meds, post the water volume of your biggest freshwater tank).
    - Total applicable gallons of aquariums you have (e.g. for freshwater-only meds, only count the total gallons of your freshwater tanks).
    - How many packages you usually keep on-hand.

I am working on a spreadsheet to analyze the costs.
    I intend to post the spreadsheet and my conclusions and stuff too when it's ready.

Thanks!!!

1 Not allowed!
    I keep a large bottle of prazi-pro on hand at all times. I also use it as a preventative measure as Lady hobbs does. With about 500 gallons of aquariums to treat, I never have to worry about it going bad. I also keep salt and para-guard on hand for my fresh water tank. I don't need too much of that as I only have a 90 gallon freshwater tank right now. I end up checking the expiration dates on the para-guard once in a while and replace as required. I have not really looked into how cost effective this approach is as I am more focused on be able to treat as soon as possible should something happen. I also buy/sell/trade fish a lot so I have my QT tanks running a lot.

Your best bet is take a look at pricing from on-line vendors. The price I pay up here in Canada could be very very different from what you would pay were you live, which I believe is southern CA if I remember correctly.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/?ref=6...pid=PPC-G-6147
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I keep more or less the same meds others mentioned. One thing to keep in mind is it's easier to medicate a smaller tank than the large one. So if you have only a few sick fish, easier to quarantine that fish into a small tank and medicate it there. Good idea to remove carbon from your filter as it will remove meds from the tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I want pricing is, I need at least a ballpark estimate using actual prices people are paying in order to gauge offers.

Canada and US are close enough. As long as it's not Pakistan or something it would still be useful.
    I'm not going to hold it against you if you get way better deals than me. That's just the way it is.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand what you want but you are asking us to do your research for you LOL. Not that we don't want to help but none of my meds have prices on them. I'm sure you can find them on line. Go to Fosters and Smith.com and they will have most of these products. Also Big Als and many are listed on Amazon.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry if it sounds demanding... just often what is officially advertised is different from what people actually do.

I just had a nightmare where I was talking to another fishkeeper and he told me he got the API master kit for $3... I felt so ripped off.