· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Peace Lilly and Beta Fish

0 Not allowed!
    Ive seen vases with Peace lilies and a beat in them before. Im not much for putting a fish in a bowl with no filter. It is a really cool idea as far as looks. I just dont know how much the fish will like it. I figured I would at least ask and see if there was a right way to do it.

Has anyone done this and Is it ok for the fish? If so how often must I clean the vase?
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community
    125g African Cichlid community

0 Not allowed!
    Well, as far as understanding fish goes, I can't... However, I can certainly tell you that my Betta makes use of the entire 20gallon long tank I have him in. I think it's inhumane to have these fish in such little, enclosed spaces. They have absolutely no life... they just sit there. It's amazing what happens when you take one of those Bettas out of their small cups in the LFS and add him to your 10gal or 20gal tank... It's like a light just went on and the Betta can finally see the world for the first time.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +++ to that. I have mine in a 5 gal and I'm starting to feel guilty :o( I think he's going to get an upgrade soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Well, as far as understanding fish goes, I can't... However, I can certainly tell you that my Betta makes use of the entire 20gallon long tank I have him in. I think it's inhumane to have these fish in such little, enclosed spaces. They have absolutely no life... they just sit there. It's amazing what happens when you take one of those Bettas out of their small cups in the LFS and add him to your 10gal or 20gal tank... It's like a light just went on and the Betta can finally see the world for the first time.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    A vase is just simply not acceptable, and yes, I've seen the peace lily thing. Disturbs me quite frankly.

A five gallon is acceptable, a ten gallon is preferrable, and a twenty gallon is exceptional :) for our fine finned friends.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    The vendors usually claim that such vases are a "balanced" ecosystem where the plant absorbs betta waste and the betta feeds on plant roots. That is complete crap. Bettas are insectivores, and the peace lily likely won't absorb enough waste to keep the water clean. Maybe a larger plant in a well lit area will, but certainly not a small plant in a dark indoors area where the betta vase is likely to be kept. The vendors also claim that since it is a balanced ecosystem you never need to change the water...
    ...I hope no explanation is needed for how wrong that is.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input. After reading this and some other articles online it seams like a worse idea than I had originally thought. I was thinking if it were in a very large vase on the floor it might be ok. Even then it would only be about 5 gallons. I was talking to my brother about it and he said he has heard that the plant itself can actually be harmful to the fish.

I have an empty 10 gallon that I need to make use of. One thing is for sure I do want to get at least one of those poor fish out of its dirty little cup at the pet stoor. Its so sad....
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community
    125g African Cichlid community

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flydustydawg View Post
    I have an empty 10 gallon that I need to make use of. One thing is for sure I do want to get at least one of those poor fish out of its dirty little cup at the pet stoor. Its so sad....
    Sounds like a great way to put that tank to use. You'll also need a heater (bettas do best at around 80F) and a filter as well as a hood to keep him from jumping out. A light will help show him off and be more enjoyable for you. Additionally, betta's love to swim in and out of and around things so some drifrtwood and caves (you can make them from rock) and some plants (artificial or real although real is better) will also be great.
    If you've never cycled a tank, we'd be glad to help you with that so continue to ask questions if you have them.
    Good luck and good for you. some betta is going to be very happy :o) They are amazing, personable fish with tons of personality and really interact with people. You'll enjoy having one.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492