· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Should I re-acclimate?

0 Not allowed!
    So tomorrow I'm going to take apart and re-do my 5 gallon tank. Now, I've been working to clear out my 5 gallon bucket so I can put Grimsby in it with his heater for the majority of the time.

Now, I know you're supposed to acclimatize fish when there's a sudden change in water parameters. Well, other than the recent rise in nitrates, my tap parameters have been holding pretty steady, and match his tank.

There will be a difference with the water when I add him back in. I just found a product to lower the nitrates in water, that I will be using to prepare water for water changes. My tap rose to about 40ppm a few weeks ago, and I just got some Nitra-zorb today. Is the lowered nitrates enough that I will need to re-acclimate him tomorrow, once I'm ready to add him back in the tank?
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    What are the nitrates like in your tank, right now? I assume you've been doing PWCs with the tap water?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    They're about 40 too, despite the tank being loaded with plants. and there's a low-level ammonia that just won't go away (it's dropped to about .1ppm since the spike started, but I'm changing the filter tomorrow as part of the overhaul to have far more biomedia than I need to get rid of that @#&) ammonia). My normal schedule is 50% once a week, and I've been adding Prime regularly because the ammonia and nitrates are higher than I want but I can't lower them with water changes.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    They're about 40 too, despite the tank being loaded with plants. and there's a low-level ammonia that just won't go away (it's dropped to about .1ppm since the spike started, but I'm changing the filter tomorrow as part of the overhaul to have far more biomedia than I need to get rid of that @#&) ammonia). My normal schedule is 50% once a week, and I've been adding Prime regularly because the ammonia and nitrates are higher than I want but I can't lower them with water changes.
    Being that the water will be the same, you won't need to acclimate.

What kind of plants do you have? It might not hurt to get some frogbit, water wysteria, green cabomba, etc. They're big nitrate/ammonia eaters. Especially if you have a problem with your tap - and since you do, the plants should flourish.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    kevin knows his plants. Hortwort also is great for lowering nitrates.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Being that the water will be the same, you won't need to acclimate.

What kind of plants do you have? It might not hurt to get some frogbit, water wysteria, green cabomba, etc. They're big nitrate/ammonia eaters. Especially if you have a problem with your tap - and since you do, the plants should flourish.
    Currently I have salvinia, rotala, hygrophila angustofolia, mystery hygrophila, cryptocoryne wendtii, two types of java fern, and two species of anubias. I also have a bunch of other plants to go in tomorrow that I ordered, but I still need to sort through them and see what survived. A lot of them were in rough shape and already melting when I got them, and they had been shipped 2-day priority and were delayed a day.

The original list of what I was supposed to get is this:
    10 green hygro clippings
    1 bunch with 4 stems of wisteria
    3 pieces of cabomba
    6 dwarf sag plantlets most have roots
    2 Antler fern plantlets (beautiful floater)
    1 Green temple

Who knows what will actually make it into the tank.

And the reason I asked is that I've found some nitra-zorb today at petco, and I'm going to get some water going tonight with some of the nitra-zorb to reduce the nitrates in it, so I can put water in the tank tomorrow that is low-or-no nitrates, and then keep that up for later water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    kevin knows his plants. Hortwort also is great for lowering nitrates.
    Sadly, my tanks are too warm for hornwort. I haven't bothered to get any because it will just melt into nothing in my tanks. Same with anacharis.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I just sorted the plants for tomorrow...

Here's what I sorted out as 'salvageable':

And here's what's left in the bucket that they've been in for a week:
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    By Antler Fern, do you mean Water Sprite? If so, that's an excellent nitrate/ammonia absorber. That'll grow like crazy in your water. In fact, you'll probably get sick of it. ;P

Even your hygro should do well - they're pretty fast growers, so should absorb some of the excess nutrients, too. I think your list looks great for your problem, so you should be well on your way to clarity. =]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    It was marketed as the actual antler fern. Pictures of the 'mother' plant show that it doesn't have a stem.

The mystery hygro has barely grown in my tank. :( The rest... I'm having trouble telling between some of the Hygrophila species since they got all mixed up and most of the leaves melted off. It's not like I have bad light... I currently have a 14 watt 5000K and will be swapping out for either a 13 or 23 watt 6500K light. I was leaning towards the 23 watt with the high nitrates, but now I'm leaning towards 13 watts.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Yikes, 40ppm is a lot to have in your tap water. Have you contacted the local water authority about this? They have limits on what is acceptable in the supply and I'm pretty sure that's approaching it.

Advice so far re: plants is solid, but you'll need a lot more plants to deal with that much. If nitrates continue to be high and you have algae problems you could consider investing in an RO unit. This will strip everything out of your water, allowing you to remineralise it to the level needed.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~