· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default what type of algae do nerite snails eat

0 Not allowed!
    hi.
    i was wondering what type of algae nerite snail eat.
    i have green algae on the glass, diatoms and bba (heard they don't eat bba, it that true.
    and how much do they eat. i have a lot
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A true SAE (Siamese Algae Eater)will eat Black Beard Algae. I don't believe nerites will.

From what I know, Nerite Snails are top-notch for eating harder algae that most plecos are too lazy to eat. Green spot algea in particular. Diatoms shouldn't be any worry, they are very soft compared to green spot algea. I don't know if they eat string/hair algae, I'm pretty sure that is more of a job for Amano shrimp.

Edit: I'm actually going to purchase 5 nerites tomorrow hopefully, so I will tell you how they work out. I'm sure everyone else here knows much more about than I do on these, so good luck!
    Last edited by Loller; 08-16-2013 at 12:38 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My nerites snails spend a lot of time on the driftwood in my tank and some time on the glass eating the bio film. they also forage on the substrate. Yes, they will eat algae but do not expect them to keep all the algae out of your tank for you - they are very small snails. You should be cleaning out the algae. Google how to get rid of BB algae as it is toxic - that's why fish and snails don't eat it - and then take steps to rid the tank of it yourself :o)
    Same with getting rid of the green algae - you should keep the bulk of it cleaned up.\
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    i do my best but my tank is in direct sunlight and there is no way i can keep up with the algae growth.
    i don't have any where else to put it.
    i had no idea black beard algae was toxic.
    but do you think they can atleast help with the green algae on my glass. i have tried everything.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    I think FM is thinking of BGA (Blue Green Algae or Cyanobacteria). That is toxic to fish and most inverts (except nerites have been known to eat it).

BBA is unsightly and nearly impossible to get rid of, but it's "safe" to have. The only fishes I've known to eat it are SAEs, American Flag Fish, Ameca splendens and I believe Amano Shrimp have been known to eat it, as well. That's about it... Nerites won't eat it, but they'll eat pretty much any other kind of algae - diatoms/brown algae, green spot algae, film algae & cyanobacteria. They also won't eat hair algae.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I think FM is thinking of BGA (Blue Green Algae or Cyanobacteria). That is toxic to fish and most inverts (except nerites have been known to eat it).
    Yikes. You're right Kevin. I totally read that wrong. thanks for the correction.
    Vafa - is there nothing you can do to minimize the direct sunlight? Pull the curtains? Draw the shade? Is it a certain time of day that the sun directly hits the tank? If so, can you cover the tank during that period or block the sun some how? Is it just one side? if so, can you cover that side with a piece of background? Leave the lights off during the day and on only at night?
    Just brainstorming here.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 08-16-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

0 Not allowed!
    If none of the blocking is possible, I would definitely agree with FM about leaving the lights off during the day - especially since you really won't need them. If they're on, you're just double-dosing the tank with light, during the day.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I believe there are also some products that you can apply to glass (like your windows) that blocks the sun's rays. I don't know if it would be effective in controlling algae but it might be worth checking into

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Diatoms are extremely easy to remove via algae magnet/scraper. Green spot algae will take a lot of time with this as it is much more thick. The only good think about green spot algae that I have noticed is that it spreads much slower than most algae. Once I started doing larger water changes and I added a few otos in my 55 gallon, along with going down to 8 hours a day, I haven't noticed any more of this junk except the first few spots.

If you do want to depend on snails to get rid of algae, I would start out with 2 or 3, see how they do, and if you are comfortable with their job of algae eating, get a few more. Just make sure to feed them properly after they finish. This probably won't work though. I'm sure if you did a few larger water changes and figured out a way to lower the amount of lighting, your success would be much more likely in getting rid of it.

Just to share something, I'm actually going to try to figure out a simple algae solution for beginner tanks. I've set up a few tanks for some people recently and I know most people won't realize that algae is a problem until it gets horrible. I'm thinking Amano Shrimp + Nerite Snails because Amanos take excellent care of loose/stringy types of algae and are excellent for cleaning up leftover food, while Nerites take care of more flat and thick types of algae; green spot algae and diatoms in particular. I'm going to start this test in my 10 gallon tank I set up 2 days ago, and if it works for a few months without flaw, that would be excellent.

0 Not allowed!
    I can attest to the good work that Otos Cats + Amano Shrimp + Horned Nerite snails can do. I have them situated in my 20gal Long Betta tank and they clean the place like mad. Barely any noticeable algae, except for a bit that grows on the driftwood. Otherwise, it's clean and clear. They're an all-star team and would recommend them to anyone with algae problems.

I can also attest to the job that SAEs do. They're constant grazers of algae in my 75gal tank, but one problem is that they'll devour leaves of plants, if the algae is a hard type.

Right now, I have 4 BN plecos in a 40gal Breeder that had a diatom outbreak w/ two large pieces of driftwood (the diatoms are coming from one of the pieces of driftwood). They're already making quick work of it... and there was a ton of it in there (new tank - new driftwood = crazy diatoms =X).

I also have a 10gal Zebra Nerite tank - and they constantly graze on the driftwood, rocks and walls in the tank. Aside from what looks to be the beginnings of green spot algae on the rocks, they've kept that tank pretty darn clear - and I've tried my darndest to get algae growing in there. lol