· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Brhino has had success with Bamboo shrimp in his 75gal community. As long as they're housed with peaceful fish and it's planted relatively heavily, I think you'll be fine. Discus, I'd be a little weary of, though.

I know that a lot of bamboo shrimp or any filter feeder shrimp risks a slow death to many hobbyists, because they don't know how to feed them and they starve. I'd be curious to know how your friend's second tank was setup - how heavily planted, etc.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    his first tank had some small plants (not sure the type) and the 2nd tank was all rock work. both tanks had different spots with different flows around it. he fed green water into the ac filter so it was mixed in good. maybe it was just dumb luck they all died before...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say no to the shrimp in the discus tank because the main reason being that discus fish is still a cichlid. They may act normal most of the time but they can be nibbly at times. You can't monitor them 24/7.

If you're still dead set on getting one. You'd need to lower the temp to at least 82 F. Adult discus don't need as much food so you don't have to bump the temp up to 85 F.

Have ample hiding spaces, be it rockwork or pots, etc.

One final note, I did have bamboo shrimps in a tank with discus fishes before. There were a lot of room for them to hide in and I target fed the area that they're usually at with micro worms, ground flake, etc. but one of my discus suddenly became interested in the shrimp. All it took was for one adult discus and one bite and the filters and legs were gone.....

So after seeing one becoming snack to my fish, I scooped the rest up and put it in a less aggressive setting. Maybe my discus was just interested for that instance of time. Maybe it just wanted a taste thinking it was food. Maybe the shrimp was just out at a bad time and looked like a tasty worm to the discus at that time. But point is, there's always a chance of it being picked on by a fish.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    While the Amano seem fine and unbothered, you're right that I'm not there all the time and all it takes is one time for the discus to view them as food. The discus are becoming more and more comfortable and bold so I could see them trying to snack on any newcomer to the tank.

Thanks everyone for advice.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps