· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vampire Shrimp good tank mates?

0 Not allowed!
    Atya gabonensis is species I'm talking about. Would love to have some larger shrimp in the tank! Especially since they clean the water so well.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    no fish would be a good suit for filter shrimps like those. almost every fish will nip at their gills and kill them. but they are worth having in a tank on their own, or with other filter shrimp. snails, and small shrimp would be fine in there as well.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    no fish would be a good suit for filter shrimps like those. almost every fish will nip at their gills and kill them. but they are worth having in a tank on their own, or with other filter shrimp. snails, and small shrimp would be fine in there as well.
    Even if they are 4 inches (the shrimp)? The discus don't touch my 2" amano shrimps although definitely missing 2 dozen cherrys :(They are larger than my rummys and cardinals

I've seen some pretty big vampire shrimp and was considering getting 2 or 3 since I know they like to be in groups.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

0 Not allowed!
    How big are the discus? Are they wilds or domestic? What's the temp of your tank at?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What geno's saying is they will pick at the delicate arms on the shrimp, regardless of size. Although I have kept filter shrimp and have never had that be a problem, my problem was always getting them enough to eat, mine always starved and I gave up.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    Green water! =]

It's easy to make. Just place some water in a cheap tub outside, add some fertilizer and let it go. I've noticed, however, that it helps to add some floating plants to attract natural insects/frogs, so they can pollute your water. ;P That aids in algal growth.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba View Post
    What geno's saying is they will pick at the delicate arms on the shrimp, regardless of size. Although I have kept filter shrimp and have never had that be a problem, my problem was always getting them enough to eat, mine always starved and I gave up.
    Discus are 5-6" and came from Hans so not wild. I hear you about the nipping but since they dont nip at the amanos, I thought it would work. I had them before in my 55 allon tetra/apisto tank but they died probably because they weren't getting enough food. I am pretty sure that they would have no issues now that I have 2 FX5s that create good current and feed discus 2-3 times per day so they. I keep water at 85 degrees.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Green water! =]

It's easy to make. Just place some water in a cheap tub outside, add some fertilizer and let it go. I've noticed, however, that it helps to add some floating plants to attract natural insects/frogs, so they can pollute your water. ;P That aids in algal growth.

They need that much huh? Not worth doing that to the discus tank. Maybe I'll try with one and see how it goes...

0 Not allowed!
    Well, you might have a good amount of detritus floating around, but there's a reason why they're not surviving in some tanks. They're too clean. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    filter feeder shrimp wont eat if they are getting nipped at any. even if theres enough nutrients in the water they will refuse to open their gills for food if theres a threat of nipping. my friend had killed 4 bamboo shrimp (filter feeder) it was housed with a couple female mollies and they never seemed to give a bother to the shrimp. but eventually they all died, untill he housed 2 of them alone. fed them the same and everything and has had them alive for a bit over a year now without any problems. thats why im saying no to fishy tank mates....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!