· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default very strange ph results

0 Not allowed!
    today i decided to test pH since i haven't in a while.
    my 10 gallon tank was at 7.0. i thought that was a tad bit off, since my tap water was at 7.4.
    then i tested my 20 gallon. pH went straight to 7.6. i then tested with high range ph and it went to a weird coulor.
    it was either 7.4, 8.0, 8.2. i don't think it is 7.4 because the other test went to 7.6.
    then seeing these different results i went and tested the tap water. 7.0. that is strange since our city water is trying to increase ph and a month
    ago it was 7.4.
    so what is going on in my 20 gallon.
    i tested the rocks, no fizz.
    no new decorations. (same stuff for almost a year)
    the one thing that could of caused was a algae remover product i used a week ago.
    algaefix, i discontinued use since it didn't work.
    how can i get ph down since i don't want to make huge ph swings during a water change.
    please help soon
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

0 Not allowed!
    First, it would help to know the fish in this tank. My reason for asking this is to ascertain why you want to lower the pH, this may or may not be necessary. Also, there is not much difference between 7.0 and 7.4, which brings me to the fluctuation at water changes. This will not harm the fish at all because it is so minimal. My tanks easily fluctuate by 4 to 6 tenths, i.e., from say 7.2 to 7.5 and this is not a problem.

Algaefix and similar should never be added to a tank as plants (if any) can be harmed, and the chemicals are not good for fish regardless. The less substances entering a fish tank, the better. Algae is not usually a bad thing unless it is smothering plant leaves. Without knowing if you have live plants, and the fish, it is difficult to advise further on the algae. Let us know and we may be able to suggest something.

BTW, changes in tap water pH is not that uncommon, depending upon where the municipality gets its water. Some areas have multiple sources for water, and the pH can vary so more water coming from one source due to this or that might vary the pH.

It would also help to know the GH and KH/Alkalinity. The GH is more important for fish generally speaking than pH, and the KH or Alkalinity can serve to "buffer" the pH, preventing shifts. These numbers you can get from the people, probably on their website.

Also, stay with one pH test kit. I have heard many times that different results occur with the normal and high-range tests. If your tap water is or should be in the low to mid 7's, then the normal range kit will work, and you should do all tests with this one kit to ensure more reliable results. And when testing tap water, remember to ouot-gas the CO2 by shaking a container of tap water very vigorously for a couple minutes. CO2 in tap water is often sufficient to add carbonic acid and lower the pH; once this outgasses as it will in the aquarium, the pH will rise.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-15-2013 at 08:24 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    the fish in the 20 gallon are a german blue ram, 8 neon tetra, 2 platy and 2 oto.
    i am concerned because the ph in 20 gallon is likely 8.0 or 8.2.
    i don't have a gh or kh test kit.
    and i get my water from the same place as you do (Vancouver)
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    the fish in the 20 gallon are a german blue ram, 8 neon tetra, 2 platy and 2 oto.
    i am concerned because the ph in 20 gallon is likely 8.0 or 8.2.
    i don't have a gh or kh test kit.
    and i get my water from the same place as you do (Vancouver)
    Silly me, I didn't notice your location. Well, now I really can help.

The GH and KH of our water is next to zero, and all Metro Vancouver water comes from one or more of the three reservoirs up in the north shore mountains so it is consistant. I believe it is 7 ppm which is less than 1 dGH and KH. Your soft water fish are fine; I have 7 tanks of mainly wild-caught soft water fish and they thrive. Your platy however are not, they will not be healthy long-term in soft water. Many have failures with livebearers in this area, because they don't recognize the soft water issue.

My pH is around 7 to 7.2 out of the tap; the natural pH of the reservoir water is around 5 or perhaps less. Vancouver now adds soda ash (sodium carbonate) to raise the pH and this can vary depending where you are in the region. In my tanks with fish the pH runs around 6.2 to 6.6 (depending which tank, they vary a bit), and I change half the volume every week and have done for many years. It is interesting that one tank, which is only plants and used to QT new fish, runs above 7. The others lower because of the natural biology so you can expect the same over a few weeks; I have planted tanks so I never vacuum the substrate and this is the prime source of acidification. Unless you have something calcareous, like rock, sand or gravel composed of calcareous mineral (limestone, dolomite, aragonite, marble, or coral).

The pH around 8 in your 20g is without question due to something in the tank.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    i have no idea what it could be?
    thank you byron for your help

0 Not allowed!
    i have no idea what it could be?
    thank you byron for your help
    I read back, and this high pH was with the high-range pH, correct? Use the normal range only, and test both tanks and the tap (outgas the CO2) and see what results you get.

0 Not allowed!
    well the regular ph test was at 7.6 but that could have been maxed out. then i tried the hi range one it was 8 - 8.2.
    without out gas my tap was at 7.

0 Not allowed!
    well the regular ph test was at 7.6 but that could have been maxed out. then i tried the hi range one it was 8 - 8.2.
    without out gas my tap was at 7.
    The regular range kit is the one to use. These numbers make some sense anyway. I would do a new test of both tanks and the tap (shake to out-gas CO2) and see what you get.

Another thing to remember, is always test a tank around the same time each day you test. The pH varies from early morning to evening. And, if possible always read the colours in daylight (but not direct sunlight); artificial light alters colours depending upon the type of light.

0 Not allowed!
    i tested again today.
    20 gallon ph: 7.6 high range ph: 7.8
    tap water outgas: 7.0

0 Not allowed!
    i tested again today.
    20 gallon ph: 7.6 high range ph: 7.8
    tap water outgas: 7.0
    Sorry I didn`t post before now, but since Friday I have been unable to log on to this site. ??

Anyway, what substrate is in the 20g? And is there any rock? How long has it been set up with fish? How frequent and what volume are water changes? Are there live plants?