· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Beta tank divider

0 Not allowed!
    I have just obtained two betta's which I am positive were bound for certain doom and I am setting up a 10 gallon tank for the both of them. I have been searching for an appropriate divider but the all seem to be fairly transparent which of course defeats the purpose. I have two filters working ( both rated for 10g tanks) So I am not really worried about the flow of water between the two sides. I am really not trying to spend too much money on this so I am trying to figure out what household materials would be safe. For example I have a thin sheet of galvanized steel I can cut to shape, considered an old storage bin lid etc.. any suggestions on maybe what anyone has done in the past, maybe something I am not thinking of?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My only concern with the galvanized steel is that eventually your zinc coating may wear off since it will be permanently submerged. By the time that happened however, you could probably just replace it to prevent any rust from getting into the tank.

This suggestion may require further research, but have you thought about wax paper? I currently use it as the background for my 10g tank because my Betta was seeing his own reflection and fighting it constantly. It creates a nice "foggy" look and eliminates transparency, but again I'd do some more research to make sure that you can submerge wax paper without it releasing harmful effects into the tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    A very common, cheap way to divide the tank is to take craft mesh, cut it to size, then then use the spines from two report binders to make the edges stiff enough to stay upright and so the fish can't squeeze past to the other side.

Here's what it would look like in the tank (I still have pictures uploaded of the one I made last time I had my tank set up):

Be sure to keep the water level lowered a bit so that they can't jump the divider. Bettas are very accomplished jumpers.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have set up a diveded betta tank for my sister. I used Lees Tank divider. The fishes can see themselves but dont flare up too often. It helps when the tank is planted it gives each fish a sense of territory. Unlike when they fight there reflection, one fish always backs off and they each go about there business until they next meeting. The divinder cost me about $12 but it comes with everythg you need and is guaranteed aquarium safe.
    Roll the Dice!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone, well all good ideas but I found one by accident that I think will suit my needs. I was at a pet store that is on my way to work and was asking about any such item that is not transparent. We could not come up with anything outside of what you have mentioned. Suddenly she asked me to wait and went to the back.. when she returned she had a square piece of plastic which was a from an old under-gravel filter system. Not only is it black and has thin slits small enough to let water through but keep the betta from identifying each other but it is also rigid and made to be submerged in water. On top of all that it will only take some very minor trimming to fit snugly and securely in the aquarium. What a find, she was going to give it to me for free but I gave her a couple bucks for all the help. I suggest anyone who might be in a similar predicament go check out your local pet store before purchasing anything.. I don't think it could be any better.. I will post a pic when I have it all set up.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    You could also spray paint any solid divider with Krylon Fusion paint, which is aquarium safe.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you found a solution. Transparent dividers are a big no no, Betta should -never never never- be in a situation where they can see another male constantly. Unless these dividers are completely shrouded in plants, I discourage them as if they were Betta plague.

Again, there will be a story from someone that it "worked for them", but this is rare.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.