· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lake

1. Default The Lake

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been watching for a good deal on a 55 gallon while waiting for petco's $1 per gallon sale... Went to the LFS last night and they had a whole stack of used 75's! A few of them were drilled, and most had some kind of scary looking chips in the corners, but one stood out. No chips, no scratches, glass almost twice as thick as the other tanks... I couldn't resist! It came home with me last night for $70! Hehe

0 Not allowed!
    Cool! Nice find.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Gonna be an african cichlid tank. Leaning towards Peacocks...

Gotta reseal it and build a stand...

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    A 75 gallon for $70.00 is an awesome find, well done.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I couldn't pass it up... especially when my wife gave me the green light!!

Quick question: I am thinking I will have to make a custom cover since this is an older tank with no center brace. How thick should the cover glass be? The cover would be roughly 47" by 15" to allow space at the back for filtration, heater cords, etc.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy View Post
    Thanks! I couldn't pass it up... especially when my wife gave me the green light!!

Quick question: I am thinking I will have to make a custom cover since this is an older tank with no center brace. How thick should the cover glass be? The cover would be roughly 47" by 15" to allow space at the back for filtration, heater cords, etc.
    You would have your 3/16 inch thick glass cut at a glass shop and can buy the plastic hinge and the plastic piece (for the 3/16" glass) that you can trim to fit around your filter at Drs Foster & Smith - they come in 6 ft lengths. Here is the link -

www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3731+13819&pcatid=13819
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I knew about the hinges, the LFS stocks them. Just wasn't sure how thick the glass needed to be since it has no center support...

0 Not allowed!
    That is an excellent find - and what a price! I don't think you'd ever find anything that cheap here in the UK. Good work, I look forward to seeing how this tank progresses. What are your plans for a stand?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy View Post
    Thanks! I knew about the hinges, the LFS stocks them. Just wasn't sure how thick the glass needed to be since it has no center support...
    For the glass tops you buy, anything over 30 inches wide is 3/16 inch thick glass.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"