· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Python ?

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default Python ?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everybody,
    As you may know, I am in the process of setting up a 40 gallon breeder in my living room...my Python siphon will just reach from the kitchen sink to where the tank will be located...

When I go to do water changes, I'm thinking of something different to vacuum the tank...instead of using the suction action of the water flowing in the sink, I am thinking of running that end of the python out the front door and into my flower bed/potted plants on the front porch...

I could just use gravity to empty some water during PWC's, but I doubt this will be enough pressure to adequately vacuum debris....and it will take a LONG time that way..I'm thinking some small electric pump would do the trick, though I am not sure how it would hook up to the faucet end of the Python, just yet...

Does anyone use a method similar to what I'm describing when REMOVING water from their tanks?...I would still use the Python in the traditional manner to FILL the tank...if so, please share what you came up with...

Please and thank you
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Slap

I got the aqueon water changer so I'm not sure if this works for the python, but can you attach a house to the python's outlet (at the sink end) so instead of the water draining from the python into the sink, it would go into the hose and out the window?

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I run the water right 0ut the wind0w, myself. Just make sure the drain end is well bel0w the height 0f the tank and it will pull plenty well. I live 0n the 2nd fl00r, I let the h0se g0 t0 ab0ut a f00t ab0ve the gr0und and trust me when I tell y0u that I have pulled gravel right 0ut 0f the tank and dep0sited it 0utside. d0n't let that baby hit the sand, y0u will c0me up shy!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Slap

I got the aqueon water changer so I'm not sure if this works for the python, but can you attach a house to the python's outlet (at the sink end) so instead of the water draining from the python into the sink, it would go into the hose and out the window?
    I probably am not being clear about what I'm asking...I will be able to stretch the "faucet" end out of my front door, into a flower bed....and the pickup-tube end into the tank...I could suck on the faucet end, to get the water flowing to the outside, and gravity would take over the emptying of the tank...just like a drip acclimation set-up...but the flow will be terribly slow, and not strong enough to vacuum up any debris, I'm afraid...make better sense?...I would want to use some sort of pump on the faucet end, to more forcibly pull the water through the hose

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Y0u and I were typing at the same time apparently, L0L. L00k up ^^

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Y0u and I were typing at the same time apparently, L0L. L00k up ^^
    We sure were!....now, I can see getting a good pull hanging out of a second story window...but my drop is only gonna be about 52"...ya think that's enough of a drop to get a good pull?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Might help to have one of these, I'm thinking:

http://www.amazon.com/Python-Squeeze...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Water is pretty p0werful stuff, br0tha. Y0u sh0uld be fine. If y0u want t0 test the te0ry, get a 5 gall0n pail,put s0me fine sand in it, fill it water, raise it t0 the height y0u are g0ing t0 be w0rking with and give it a g0. Then y0u will kn0w f0r sure and it w0n't be testing 0n y0ur rig.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    I know gronlaura uses a pump to remove large quantities of water from her tank, I can't remember if she siphons first with the python then removes the remaining water with the pump or not though. I empty mine into a utility sink but found that once I have a siphon started I can shut the faucet off and the siphon will continue without wasting water. I would think a drop of 52" would be sufficient.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Might help to have one of these, I'm thinking:

http://www.amazon.com/Python-Squeeze...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
    C0uldn't hurt t0 get 0ne but it d0esn't take much t0 get it g0ing by sucking 0n it, just watch the water c0ming up the h0se. We all l0ve 0ur fish but I'm sure s0me tank water in the m0uth is a bit much t0 pr0ve it, L0L.