· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Just to clarify, there are two forms of obtaining unnatural colors in fish. The first is by injection which was discussed well. The second is a genetically engineered fish. The genome of a jelly fish is put into the DNA of a "normal" fish to make it glow. These are dubbed "glofish". I'm sure most people on the forum already know this, so I am writing this for raw beginners such as myself.

Believe it or not, when I bought the tank, I was going to put glofish in it. After reading about it, and thinking about it, I decided that was not the type of thing I want to support by buying some. Even if some of these fish will pass the trait to their young. It doesn't seem much different than making cows that give more milk that is natural, or coming up with new breeds of dogs. Either way, it seems very wrong to me. Look at the dogs we have changed through breeding. Dogs who cannot give birth naturally because the heads of their young are too large, or the dogs with their nose so pushed in that they have trouble breathing. Often times, mutts are much hardier than purebreds. It makes me wonder what the lifespan of the glofish will be or the problems they will wind up with.

As they are very colorful and "glow" under certain lights, this makes them a magnet for children. Discomfort or pain is not the only way an animal can be abused. I do know one thing. Glofish are never going to be in my aquarium. The energy we put into making fish that Glow would be better applied to keep the species we have from going extinct.

Marc4

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    That's very sad. What a horrible practice. Are jellybean cichlids dyed? I was thinking about maybe getting some later but now I am reconsidering.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

hero to a crayfish - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBowyer View Post
    Please clarify as many of these things are new to me. Your saying albino corys get dyed and not that they are dyed albino. Is that right? My plain white, red-eyed albino corys are undyed?
    Yes, they are albino without dyes, just selective breeding. Albinos are usually chosen over colored fishes because the dyes will show up better.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
    That's very sad. What a horrible practice. Are jellybean cichlids dyed? I was thinking about maybe getting some later but now I am reconsidering.
    Yes they are dyed. I definitely recommend against them. Generally, it's not hard to tell whether a fish has artifical colors, those that have those very "fluorescent" looking bright single colors are often died.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I saw some yellow phantom tetras yesterday at another fish shop i visited. They looked stunning and was very tempted to purchase, but i didnt. I even went as far as telling the owner to stop buying these falsely coloured fish as its bad for the hobby.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930