· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a source for that? I have studied a lot of genetic engineering/modification and I've never heard of something being injected directly into the viable organism. More often than not cisgenesis (or transgenesis in the case of the jellyfish gene is accomplished by injecting into the zygote or even parental reproductive components like the egg and sperm. I seen it very unlikely nor economical to try and alter the genetic sequence of a species that is already being expressed in the phenotype of a mature individual.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps you're right. I was thinking about a different company that makes fluorescent angelfish:

0 Not allowed!
    Omg that's terrible!
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Taken from the glofish website. There's more info there, if anyone is interested in reading up on it.

"Exactly how is the fluorescent protein gene added to the fish?
    Every line of GloFish® fluorescent fish (i.e. Starfire Red®, Electric Green®, Sunburst Orange®, Cosmic Blue®, and Galactic Purple®) starts with a single fish. The general process of developing fluorescent fish, as illustrated in this chart, begins by adding a fluorescence gene to the fish before it hatches from its egg. Once the gene integrates into the genome (i.e., genetic code) of the embryo, the developing fish will be able to pass the fluorescence gene along to its offspring upon maturity. Because of this, the gene only needs to be added to one embryo; from that point forward, all subsequent fluorescent fish are the result of traditional breeding."

I'm sure if one wanted to, they could argue that it's cruel to inject an egg.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a question, I hope I'm not repeating something here cause I didn't look through all of the previous pages.

I live in Taiwan, and I've seen shrimps in ALOT different colors like green, red, blue, dark, black, natural etc - my question of course is: Are these dyed or naturally this color?
    "We are living on this planet as if we had another one to go to"

0 Not allowed!
    Don't know what you've seen but I've never seen a dyed shrimp yet.

0 Not allowed!
    Do they all look like they're the same species, just dyed different colors? There's a plethora of naturally colorful shrimp available. I have read that, depending on the foods you feed your shrimp, they can change color.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They're all the same kind of shrimp, the one you find everywhere (small and naturally white/translucent ones). I've seen blue, yellow, red, dark, red and white and probably other colors I can't remember now. I'll try to get a photo next time I swing by, they do definitely LOOK dyed... It doesn't look natural to me.
    "We are living on this planet as if we had another one to go to"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am proud to say that the businesses in my area, that sell fish, do not sell dyed fish. Not even Wal-Mart... However, they do engage in other unethical practices.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Isivaa Sanaru View Post
    They're all the same kind of shrimp, the one you find everywhere (small and naturally white/translucent ones). I've seen blue, yellow, red, dark, red and white and probably other colors I can't remember now. I'll try to get a photo next time I swing by, they do definitely LOOK dyed... It doesn't look natural to me.
    Hard to imagine shrimp surviving a dyeing process.

yellow?

Red and white

All the result of selective breeding.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast