· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx View Post
    How can you compare mutilating a living, feeling animal with something which is born that way? While neither may not be right, all crimes are not as bad as each other.
    What's your take on a mother that does drugs while pregnant? Is it okay since the baby isn't actually born yet? People create these deformed creatures, so whether they were bred that way or done after the fact, these fish still live miserable lives.

Default Do not support dyed fish

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said, there is no answer. I never claimed to know the ratio of good BPs versus bad BPs. I merely said that both exist.

Perhaps you should start your own thread about it, rather than ruining yet another one. You can educate us all on the problems of breeding for traits. This one is about fish that are injected with dye. It's probably less fun to start your own thread, isn't it?
    Last edited by jaysee; 03-26-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    I would hate to have to close this thread lead to any drama and have to close

Just a concern everyone
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    soooooo......

back to the topic at hand.

dyed fish. we have a local LFS that "prides" itself to be the nicest in the area (which by coincidence has the highest prices...funny) and for the past year, they've had great stock. however this past time I went there they had "balloon mollies" that were dyed. I almost wanted to sedate the entire tank as I couldn't bear to see that many mollies with weird "tattoo's" and colors.

so all that said, this lfs has lost my business completely. i'll manage and chose to drive extra miles to support an LFS that has higher morals.

0 Not allowed!
    I've you've had good experiences with them in the past why not ask what changed? Perhaps they let a junior staffer order? PErhaps they were delivered by mistake?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, you bring up a valid point. Next time i'm in the area i'll ask them what that was about/if they are doing it again.
    they specialize in salt water, so maybe that guy did it too. lol.

either way, I hope they didn't sell to not encourage that market

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad I read this sticky! I've never heard of such a thing! It's really sick, and I bet most who buy these fish don't even know what they are buying/supporting.

0 Not allowed!
    So...I am personally not really interested in glowing fish, but I like to be educated so I can correctly answer questions from those who seek my advice correctly.

I was just browsing youtube videos and saw this

In this video the claim is that the green tetra is also expressing the altered genes just like the danios. I have always thought of them as a dyed fish. Is there any way to know how to tell the difference between a dyed fish and a genetically altered fish?

Whatever your ethics, you could argue that the genetically modified are much more acceptable because they weren't tortured to get that coloration, rather they were bred in a lab.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they were bred in a lab, but the process they undergone was very similar [at first] to dyed fish. They had to be removed from the water and injected with a needle in order to make them fluoresce. Who knows how many trials this took and how many fish died to get the process right. But now with their mutated genes they're able to breed them and the babies keep the fluorescence and they don't need to go through that process anymore.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    Yes, they were bred in a lab, but the process they undergone was very similar [at first] to dyed fish. They had to be removed from the water and injected with a needle in order to make them fluoresce. Who knows how many trials this took and how many fish died to get the process right. But now with their mutated genes they're able to breed them and the babies keep the fluorescence and they don't need to go through that process anymore.
    That is not accurate. The fish themselves were not injected, but rather the eggs. The jellyfish DNA was injected into the developing eggs, and assimilated.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast