· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    For the scientificially inclined, a spanish researcher has determined health effect of this practice. Full article is behind a paywall but this site has an abstract:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=5451

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just curious... Why is this practice frowned upon, and I see in the OP how the dyed blood parrot was mentioned, but why is it acceptable to support the purchase of even "normal" blood parrots? These fish do not exist in nature and are bred with many deformities that have actually made them popular because it makes them look "cute". This includes deformed spines and swim bladders that make it difficult for them to swim properly and a deformed "beak" mouth that prevents them from being able to fully close it and makes it difficult for them to eat. Just seems hypocritical to me considering how many others keep them on this site and have no issue doing so. Maybe I'm just misinformed so I'm asking those experienced with this fish to educate me. Thanks.

Default Do not support dyed fish

0 Not allowed!
    If you only see things in black and white, then they are no different, i agree. If you see shades of grey, then you might think that selectively breeding for traits is not as bad as injecting fish with dye, or tattooing them.

Everyone draws the line somewhere - doesn't necessarily make anyone a hypocrite, unless you are judging them on a black and white scale.
    Last edited by jaysee; 03-26-2013 at 12:08 AM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Blood Parrot, and I can understand why some people don't like them, but a fish being selectively bred is a WHOLE lot different to mutilating an animal while it is alive and capable of feeling pain, by being dipped in dyes, having dyes injected into them or being tattooed. Or even, in the case of some fish, having their tails cut off.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But breeding for these traits is just harmful to the fish for the reasons that I discussed. I can understand if you're just breeding for certain color varieties or something, but this is mutilating the fish just as much as dyeing them. These fish are disfigured and can never live a normal life because of it.

Default Do not support dyed fish

0 Not allowed!
    A "normal" life? Despite whatever might be "wrong" with a BPs mouth, they obviously are capable of eating well, to attain the size and age they do. Do some have problems eating? Sure, but some of your everyday fish are born with problems that lead to significant problems.

Fancy goldfish fall into that category too - bred for deformity. In a black and white world, they are included on the list as well.
    Last edited by jaysee; 03-26-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Even if you ignore the mouth issues (which really shouldn't be ignored; just google "blood parrot malnutrition" for more information on that), you're still left with the deformed spine and swim bladder problems. Just doesn't seem like a very enjoyable life to me. And yes, fancy goldfish and even balloon mollies. I've never agreed with any of them being bred. My point is simply that you can't consider all of these deformed fish to be okay but not the dyeing of other fish. These are all cruel human interventions that just should not be done.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I completely disagree.

How can you compare mutilating a living, feeling animal with something which is born that way? While neither may not be right, all crimes are not as bad as each other.

I'm also not a fan of fancy goldfish or balloon mollies, and not a huge fan of Parrots either, the only reason I have mine is because nobody else wanted him because he's not a "proper" parrot because he can close his mouth. But that does not make it the same as dying a living animal.
    Last edited by Amelia; 03-26-2013 at 01:32 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, and you can see videos on YouTube of massive blood parrots that are several years old.

You obviously see a black and white world, so there is no answer that will be good enough for you as to what the difference is between breeding for traits and injecting dyes or tattooing.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some blood parrots manage to suffer through a long life so that makes everything okay? Just ignore the majority that just have no chance at having any decent life. Sorry but your reasoning makes no sense. By your reasoning, if I get 20 tattooed fish but 3 of them "live" for several years then there must be nothing wrong with it...

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast