· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
  1. Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Did you hear about hermit crabs?The about freeze them to death to force them out of their shells so they can put them in painted shells.Plus if they eat paint they're gills inside their shell swell up and thy die,and the dealers give you crappy little kits when you need about 100 bucks to care for them properly!Those !!@#!@ people are !#!^%%$!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. Animals should not be genetic altered just for our amusement. That totally wrong. I will never buy a genetic altered fish or animal.

0 Not allowed!
    Has anyone seen the "tiger" platies?" I saw some at Petco today and figured they were probably tattooed (whoever did it did a very bad job) but there are so many platy color variants that I was not sure. The store doesn't sell any other tattooed or dyed fish.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    I believe the Tiger platy is a naturally colored fish.

Errr, well as natural as anything else at the petstore

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never bought a dyed fish and never will

Dravenhawk

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravenhawk
    I have never bought a dyed fish and never will

Dravenhawk
    same here. amen to that

75 gallon freshwater, 1 pleco, 1 pumkinseed hybrid sunfish, 1 crayfish, 1 sengal bichir,1 convict cichlid.
    45 gallon-ball python-20 gallon-honduran milk snake. 35 gallon-black rat snake
    10 gallon-black rat snake
    90 gallon reef tank
    10 gallon, 2 darters, 2 cory cats
    come over and count all the scales at my house some time!

7. Default lazer etches/dyed mollies

0 Not allowed!
    I just saw some of the most hiseous fish at petsmart lazer painted ballon mollies and dyed purple tiger barbs.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have seen dyed fish that looked cool to me and I wanted them, hold on 1 second though, I was about 5 or 6 years old then. most fish are naturally much more beautiful than dyed ones, the problem is not serious hobbyists like most AC'ers, its the people that don't know any better than what their LFS tells them. Spreading awareness of dyed fish probs around the AC doesn't do much good because I'm sure everyone here acknowledges it anyway. Well this is an old but still valid thread, thankfully I havent seen any dyed fish for sale around here for years.
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!

0 Not allowed!
    The point in this thread is that if we stop buying them, the stores will stop carrying them. That is what is meant by "do not support dyed fish." There is no reason to purchase dyed and mutilated fish when there are so many others to purchase. Stores continue to order what they sell the most of.

My store used to carry blueberry tetra's. Half the color was washed out of them before they were even purchased. I talked with the manager of the store about the dying process and the stupid tattooing of fish and she was happy to stop ordering them.

The white skirt tetra is not a dyed fish but the other tetra's are dyed from this fish. White skirt is a natural fish color.

They actually appear pink.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 03-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree the white skirts are not dyed fish, they are albino blackskirt tetras so even though the species name is the same, they are both "naturally" colored fish. I think i added to the confusion on this last year

They are a favorite for dying though, not unlike albino corys and oscars etc

Im happy to see people taking a stand against buying unnaturally colored fish, kudos

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast