Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. Default Heater / Filter for a 5 Gal?


    0 Not allowed!
    I have a HOB Aquaclear filter, but it's for like 50+ gallons. Also, would I need a mini heater since it's a small aquarium?

    Also, what type of media for the filter?

    Thanks guys.

  2. #2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Use the 50+ gallon filter. No such thing as too much filtration!
    And as far as heaters, I can't help there. I just rely on house temperature for heating.
    #WarOnAlgae

  3. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateAlgae View Post
    Use the 50+ gallon filter. No such thing as too much filtration!
    And as far as heaters, I can't help there. I just rely on house temperature for heating.
    Ok. I only want to house a betta. I just don't want the heater to cook the fish. What kind of media could I use during cycling?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    A little further from sanity
    Posts
    8,764

    Awards Showcase

    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 
    Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    A heater won't cook your fish. Just set it to the temperature you want. If it is over rated for the tank it just won't stay on as long. Get a good 25-50 watt heater.

    You can't have too much filtration but you can have too much flow, especially for a betta. I would change out the AC 50 for an AC 20.
    If it's called tourist season why can't I shoot them?
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?


  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    A heater won't cook your fish. Just set it to the temperature you want. If it is over rated for the tank it just won't stay on as long. Get a good 25-50 watt heater.

    You can't have too much filtration but you can have too much flow, especially for a betta. I would change out the AC 50 for an AC 20.
    lol here's another weird part. In the filter, I have a ton of old media. Obviously i'm going to be cycling. But the media is from like 2010 /2011. Surely I can't use this to cycle? The media and the filter is clearly still plagued with the bacteria.

  6. Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Don't use the AC 50. There is no such thing as too much filtration, but there certainly is such a thing as too much current. An AC 20 would be a much better choice, especially with the flow adjustment feature.
    A smaller heater would also be better because a) a large heater just doesn't fit in a 5 gallon or else will look highly obtrusive doing so. B) with such a small volume of water, a small heater will take longer to cook your fish in the case of a malfunction, giving you more time to notice the broken heater and come to the rescue.

    Assuming your filter media has been sitting dry since 2011, then you have to cycle the tank anew,because drying kills the beneficial bacteria we want.

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Don't use the AC 50. There is no such thing as too much filtration, but there certainly is such a thing as too much current. An AC 20 would be a much better choice, especially with the flow adjustment feature.
    A smaller heater would also be better because a) a large heater just doesn't fit in a 5 gallon or else will look highly obtrusive doing so. B) with such a small volume of water, a small heater will take longer to cook your fish in the case of a malfunction, giving you more time to notice the broken heater and come to the rescue.

    Assuming your filter media has been sitting dry since 2011, then you have to cycle the tank anew,because drying kills the beneficial bacteria we want.
    Thanks. And you recommend I just use the usual for media: Foam inserts and biomax?

  8. #8

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I have only been using sponges and biomax in my filters for a few years now, works great for me.

    If you find you HOB filter give you too much flow, you can try the below:

    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...light=diverter
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

  9. #9

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    IMO, even something as small as an AC20 on a 5 gallon will give you a fishnado...I'd use a sponge filter for something that small, and only stock shrimp.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

  10. #10

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff posted the exact thing I came to put lol. The output would likely create a whirlpool, but you can try that diffuser to see if you can lessen the output. If it works, great you have super filtration. If not, you can always get a smaller filter. Takes just a few minutes and a gatorade bottle to find out lol
    Not much to say when you're high above the muckey-muck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •